Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fueal Water Separator

Yes, I know, this subject has probably already been done...to death but humor me. I know I need some kind of fuel water separator on my 17' CC w/70 hp 2-stroke Yamaha but don't know which to use. I have seen Sierra, Racor and Yamaha Mini 10 Micron. I like the Racor as you can drain water out of the bowl but, it is 2.5 times the cost of the others. I know the other you just replace the filter every 50 or so hours so is one really any better than the other? In that it is a small boat, I have limited space in my transom.

Yes, I know, this subject has probably already been done...to death but humor me. I know I need some kind of fuel water separator on my 17' CC w/70 hp 2-stroke Yamaha but don't know which to use. I have seen Sierra, Racor and Yamaha Mini 10 Micron. I like the Racor as you can drain water out of the bowl but, it is 2.5 times the cost of the others. I know the other you just replace the filter every 50 or so hours so is one really any better than the other? In that it is a small boat, I have limited space in my transom.

If you go with the Sierra filter, replacement filter costs will be much lower but you won't have the convenience of the drain. I've never found much use for the drain on any of my boats, but I take the time to make sure my system can't get water from leaking vents or fills. If you get water from a bad batch of gas, it will likely overcome your filter before you notice it in the drainable bowl anyway. But if you have existing water-in-fuel problems, I'd go with the drainable bowl Racor.

Racor is the standard by which all other fuel filter/water separator are judged, so my recommendation is to stick with Racor. FYI, with your limited space, Racor makes a small version of their standard outboard model - it's about half the size of the ones you generally see (<- the ones with a blue drain bowl on the bottom) and has plenty of fuel flow capacity for a 70hp two-stroke.

I use the Racor S3213 with the clear bowl and drain. Knock on wood, I have never seen any water in the bowl and, therefore, have never needed to drain it. It's nice to know that the option to do so is available should there be a problem. They cost more but, in my opinion, they are worth it. I change the filter element after each season when I winterize the motor.

Racor- Bar none, if you look at the cost verses the protection and the ability to

prevent a more serious motor problem the cost of the Racors are cheap. In my opinion

Before I leave the dock, I take a quick glance at them, I have 3 of them one for each motor

and one for the Gen set. I have put them on every boat I have ever owned.

Big O

Get the Sierra filter assembly, the stainless steel one is best, and then you can use the regular cheap spin-on filters, the Yamaha long 10 micron filter, or the Racor filter element kit that fits the Sierra bracket. If you buy a Racor filter assembly, then you can ONLY use the special Racor filter cannister.