Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Avet mxl reel

Anyone own these reels? Feedback please. Im in the market for one. Thank you

I have an avet 30...not sure of the exact model its silver conventional style w/ nice big handle. its one speed decent ratio and verry smooth drag...you just have to be careful when adjusting the drag w/ not too big of movements...it freespools awesome. :605_thumbs_up:

Anyone own these reels? Feedback please. Im in the market for one. Thank you

I have two Avet MX single speed. Both are great reels. I also have the SX model. I prefer the SX over the MX only because we can only fish in 40 fathom and above here in Northern California. The MX would hold a lot more Spectra for your type of deep drop fishing. Anyway all three reels are loaded with 50 pound Jerry Brown white spectra and top shot of 20 pound Big Game mono. You will like both model which ever you decide to purchase. I've caught quite a few Albacore and Blue Fin Tuna in the 40 pound range fly lining live Anchovies with the SX single speed.

I noticed a big price difference between avet and the shimano torsa. Im torn between the 2 but really dont want to spend the extra money unless the difference is justifiable.

I don't have a clue about Torsa reels or the price, but can tell you the Avet performs very well. It's a lever drag vs star drag so if your not used to using a lever drag it will take some time to get used to. The Avet will free spool like no other reel.

I don't have a clue about Torsa reels or the price, but can tell you the Avet performs very well. It's a lever drag vs star drag so if your not used to using a lever drag it will take some time to get used to. The Avet will free spool like no other reel.

Please pardon the following really dumb questions. I troll with some TLDs which serve my needs when I get the itch for dolphin. I don't fish tuna or marlin, so my trolling reels don't have to stand up to a tough fighting fish. I have tried a few of the small lever drag reels for grouper and other bottom dwellers. I decided that I did not like lever drags for this purpose. It seemed that when I increased the drag pressure, the reel was more difficult to turn. This was not while fighting a fish, it was when I retrieved the "empty" hook after a bait stealer cleaned my hook. Is it normal for it to be more difficult to turn the handle as the drag pressure is increased? The reel as an Accurate, BTW.

Also, what's so awesome about great free spool in a reel? I'm sure it does not come into play in my fishing. That's probably because I am a lowly bottom bouncer.

I've got two AVET MXL's and I absolutely love them. I am more than just a little bit ticked off that AVET stopped making them with the lower gear ratio (4.3:1). If they still made them, I would own more.

The MXL is the perfect reel on my jigging rods, and they make a great trolling reel for king salmon. I really prefer the lower gear ratio, though.

Please pardon the following really dumb questions. I troll with some TLDs which serve my needs when I get the itch for dolphin. I don't fish tuna or marlin, so my trolling reels don't have to stand up to a tough fighting fish. I have tried a few of the small lever drag reels for grouper and other bottom dwellers. I decided that I did not like lever drags for this purpose. It seemed that when I increased the drag pressure, the reel was more difficult to turn. This was not while fighting a fish, it was when I retrieved the "empty" hook after a bait stealer cleaned my hook. Is it normal for it to be more difficult to turn the handle as the drag pressure is increased? The reel as an Accurate, BTW.

Also, what's so awesome about great free spool in a reel? I'm sure it does not come into play in my fishing. That's probably because I am a lowly bottom bouncer.

I fish the Accurate 197C, B2-270, B2-870 and 80 wide and never exerienced what you mentioned. You should have the reel serviced. Alan Tani who visits this site is the man for reeels. He might see your delima and respond to you. Owning a Accurate is a treasure.