Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

How do you like your walkaround?

I had a Hydrasport 2800 and moved down to a Wellcraft 240 coastal. The Wellcraft is a true walk around . Safer to walk around and deep recess. Many boats are more the express type as said above - check that out. I am not familiar with those boats but the layout and fishability varies greatly in "walk-arounds" so check that out closely. The "Express" type like the Hydrasport does give you more cabin room.

Have fun shopping. I would not discount Grady just because of the weight difference. That is good in many conditions. I can't imagine the fuel burn can be much difference. The price would keep me away but not the layout or weight or anything else.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks everyone for the posts so far. I have been aboard two of those on my list Sea Hunt and Key West. Against my intuition, I just recently looked at a ten year old Grady 228 Seafarer. It's true, these higher priced boats, Grady, Century, Pursuit all seem to hold up and wear very well. And since we have to motor out so far from here to get to any deeper water those heavier boats may be safer.....

G8rdave, I may have to pm you! LOL I do want to keep this search on the forum. I will be updating my progress. I need to get my LU back (skeg replacement) to finish up the work on my Key West to get it sold. I had a buyer locally but he seems to have cold feet...

I have a Trophy 2302. Love my boat. The best thing about a WA is that you get a cockpit area, useful for trolling and fishing at anchor. Casting from it is a little harder, but the type of fishing I do rarely involves casting to fish or structure. Alot more room for my little ones, too. IMHO you should add Trophy to your list. Go look at the 23' (Probably the same model number). Has a full enclosure and four people can ride in the helm area under it in relative comfort, but more importantly dryly and out of the wind/cold.

I was considering Sea Hunt and tossed it from my list, as the model comparable to mine didn't have a factory hard top, which was a big deal to me. Lots of little stuff came standard on it. I've run her out to 22+ miles off the outer banks and would do it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZxAYchf2Jc

th_P6260027.jpg

12-17-08Bayfishing3.jpg

12-17-08Bayfishing6.jpg

9-2-082.jpg

I agree! add Trophy's, great boat at a good price point, I love my 2302 Pro series, good cockpit, live well, dry, good ride, large cabin, Head w/ masorator, no port-a-potty, wash down, Plenty of stoage, etc. check them out you'll be happy you did

Desktop_Wallpaper.jpg

Well, we are ready to move up. Three foot-itus has sunk in and of all the boats considered, we are looking for a walkaround. I really like a few Gradys, but that's abig, heavy hull. Gonna take some good power and gas to keep it moving. The boats I like so far are the Sea Hunt victory 225, the Key West 225wa and the Striper 2301wa.

If anyone is a walkaround owner and have some things to say about your rig, fess up!

All opinions will be considered and appreciated! Thanks, Rick

Not trying to invade anyone's space here, but we've built a few thousand "Walks" over the years.

About forty one years or so.

We're allittle good at it also.

Mike

Oh, PRO-LINE....

We try pretty good too.

Not trying to invade anyone's space here, but we've built a few thousand "Walks" over the years.

Mike

Oh, PRO-LINE....

We try pretty good too.

Thanks Mike - Wow this is god to hear from a member. I am hoping you can give the guy the REELBOATING discount!!!

Mike

Oh, PRO-LINE....

We try pretty good too.

Yes you have, Mike..and I haven't ruled out a ProLine either. When I helped a neighbor buy his boat, a ProLine DC, we were both impressed at the build quality. Unfortunately we are not in the market for a new boat. We will see when we are ready what boat will be the best one for us in size, value and reliability. I have not been a big Merc fan, and unfortunately, most used Pro Lines are rigged with Mercurys. And for the Mercury folks please don't take this as bashing...I have owned Yamahas since 1986 and hope my next boat will also be rigged with one..

Not all walkarounds are created equal.. seatrial and actually try using the walkaround ..some boats walk easier then others,, some have a recessed walkway some have an extended deck,, some have the grab rail raised.. some dont,, you gotta walk the boat while you still have the cash.. after you purchace your stuck,, seatrial the walkaround and see if its all you thought it would be..

Ok, Mike, Prolines are great boats I agree; but if he likes the 23 Striper, he could do a lot worse; and the Striper has one of the best riding hulls in its class, as I'm sure you would agree. Remember that hull was designed for the west coast heavy Pacific surf, high bow and lots of sharp entry---good choice and fairly priced