Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ethanol Scam Finally Exposed

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In light of the Obama administration's new mandate of industry average of 35.5 mpg for truck & cars by 2016 , it hard to imagine there could be huge support at least for any increase in ethanol % in gasoline or we may all be driving around in ~ 100 hp vehicles if driving at all. The future of motor boating is a whole 'nother question.... . It's getting plenty hard enough to justify the 22 gph cruise of my 27' boat, think about the 100 +/- gph of a big Viking, Hatteras, etc., etc. .

I'd hold out more hope, but even Scientific American called it a fraud a few years ago. I knew we were in trouble when both McCain and Obama were singing the praises of ethanol in the campaign. ADM is bigger than we are. We can buy it from Brazil for less than it costs us to make it, but like sugar, it is taxed beyond reason.

In light of the Obama administration's new mandate of industry average of 35.5 mpg for truck & cars by 2016 , it hard to imagine there could be huge support at least for any increase in ethanol % in gasoline or we may all be driving around in ~ 100 hp vehicles if driving at all. The future of motor boating is a whole 'nother question.... . It's getting plenty hard enough to justify the 22 gph cruise of my 27' boat, think about the 100 +/- gph of a big Viking, Hatteras, etc., etc. .

Your never going to get to an average of 35.5 mpg on all gas engines.You will see alot more hybrid and battery powered cars by 2016.There is also alot of work on hydrogen fuel cells but that will be beyound 2016 unless alot of investment dollars are directed that way.

My boat is in the shop for repairs caused by bad fuel right now. I had run over 400 hours without any issues except scheduled maintenance. It sucks.

I was looking for ways around the problem and was wondering about AVGAS. I'm sure it is more expensive but does it have ethanol in it? Would it be possible to trailer the boat over to the local FBO and fill up?

I think our motors are ideal candidates for Hybrid conversions. Look at all the time a lot of us troll....that could all be done on the electric motor. Yeah, we may need and extra battery or two, but in the size boats they would start with it would not be a problem. Over the coming years the battery technology will increase in leaps and bounds, resulting in smaller lighter batteries.

I would expect Honda to offer us up the first of that breed. Their newer Insight cars are now priced below $20k and they can't keep pace with the demand. The Prius has sold over 1 million vehicles.

I will save this forward thinking post and waggle it in your collective faces five years from now.... ;):D