Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Cleaning glass screens on your electronics

A year after buying my boat, I began to get water spots on my chart plotter screen that would just not go away. I would only wash it with soap & water and immediately dry with a soft cloth etc....It was becoming difficult to see the details and the glare was driving me nuts. I was worried about using any kind of harsh detergents. Expressing my fustration with my wife one day, she said " I have something that will clean that like knew" Being very skeptic I tried it and has been like new for over 4 yrs now. It's called Cerama Bryte. Sold at your local walgreens or cvs etc.... for a few dollars. It is made specifically to clean, shine and protect glass stove top burners. After washing the screen and drying it, apply a little bit of CB on a soft cotton towel or terry cloth and apply it in a small circular motion and working it like a polish, making sure to get right to the edges and corners. Let dry to a haze and buff. It will repel water, maintain the clearness and shine like new. Good Luck!

What about the anti reflective glare coating? Is it still there?

I think I'd be more inclined to use a cleaner designed for cleaning eye glasses; one that's approved safe for anti-reflective coatings. Come to think of it, that's exactly what I use and it works great :)

What about the anti reflective glare coating? Is it still there?

I think I'd be more inclined to use a cleaner designed for cleaning eye glasses; one that's approved safe for anti-reflective coatings. Come to think of it, that's exactly what I use and it works great :)

which product do you use..thanks Jeff

Be vary careful choosing a cleaner for your screens. The older screens (before the new touch screens) have the anti glare coating on the outer surface of the glass. Use a cleaner designed for lens cleaning, or distilled water. Any thing abrasive or containing amonia will harm the coating on the glass.

I was aware of this and wanted to protect my new (at that time) Raymarine screen, so I bought a plastic application that covers the glass called Nav Protector. That was an expensive mistake for me. The film was on the machine for about 18 months before I took it off. Unfortunately the film and the glass coating bonded some how and made a mess of my screen. Ultimately, I had to return the unit to Raymarine for a glass replacement. 1898_.gif