Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mercury Engine Id Needed

I'm looking at a boat that has this engine hanging on it. Seller described it as a 2005 Mercury Saltwater Series. It's hard to see in the picture, but it looks as if it may say four stroke on the back of the cowling. I asked the seller if it was, and he said it was a four stroke.

Isn't this one of the engines Yamaha built for Mercury? Can anyone confirm this is a four stroke?

post-814-1240869691_thumb.jpg

Yup, it's a Mercaha. I have one hanging from the back of my boat. Fires up at the touch of the key and purrs like a kitten. At idle you have to look at the pee steam to see if it is running.

What hull are you running it on? Any quirks you wish to share? The boat is on Ebay and if it does not get overbid I will be all over it.

2004 Trophy 2103. No real quirks to speak of. While it won't jump out of the hole she comes up on plane in a reasonable time. I have to run a bit of tab in the 25 zones if I'm loaded light but once I clear the channel she likes to stretch her legs and run. 4500-4700 seems to be the sweet spot.

What hull are you running it on? Any quirks you wish to share? The boat is on Ebay and if it does not get overbid I will be all over it.

2004 Trophy 2103. No real quirks to speak of. While it won't jump out of the hole she comes up on plane in a reasonable time. I have to run a bit of tab in the 25 zones if I'm loaded light but once I clear the channel she likes to stretch her legs and run. 4500-4700 seems to be the sweet spot.

I would think your boat would fly with a 225. This is on a CC that is 23'8" LOA.

When Yamaha brought the F225 out in 2001, Mercury was well invloved with the Verado project, but knew it would be some time before they were ready to market. The made an agreement with Yamaha to buy F225's in Mercury colors and with Merc serial numbers, so they would have a good sized four stroke to sell, since Honda's 225 was released about the same time. That arrangement lasted until Mercury released the Verados. The advantage of the F225 is that both Yamaha and Mercury dealers have parts and supplies for the engines.