Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Curious - How Many Have Done A Boating Course?

Just wondering how many of us have completed a formal boating course, and which ones?

We have all (5 of us) done the 1 day USCGA course, and I have toyed with doing their navigation course ready for retirement in the islands. Just don't have the time or energy right now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had a class and I bought my first boat at age 12. My daughter is getting ready to turn 14 and since I have a pontoon boat on the lake I'm looking into taking a course with her. She has been driving me around since she was 9 but it can't do any harm for her to have a official course. Pretty soon she is going to want to take it out without dad on board :1898_:

Just wondering how many of us have completed a formal boating course, and which ones?

We have all (5 of us) done the 1 day USCGA course, and I have toyed with doing their navigation course ready for retirement in the islands. Just don't have the time or energy right now.

My daughter turned 14 last September and had her card within 2 weeks!

She would live on the boat if she could (so long as it diodn't mess with her basketball!).

She has been running the 10' RIB on her own with friends for a couple of years since the OB is 8HP. Now she is on the Jet Ski (but only within sight of the mother ship)!

Took my USCGA course online, took me a couple of days. Knew most of it, just needed to brush up on terminology.

I took the Aux course several years ago but need a refresher. Tried the CGAUX site and saw the courses listed but was unable to determine how to get them online. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Barry