Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

OEM's and "Partnerships"

Drop,

Take a look at our latest offerings, the Pro-Lite series. Offered with Suz or Etec. Proline used to be one of Merc's biggest customers. But they didn't want to play the "money" game (hint: easy financing). That's why you see those 2 motors on the Transoms of Pro-Lites.

Every little bit helps a company in these times.

BTW, The Suzuki 300 is my favorite motor, so I'm happy...Soon to be a 400, I hope... :605_thumbs_up:

Actually, the Grand Sport is on my short list....and you're right about the engines. I did find one new rig with a pair of Verados, however. It's the only one on my list that I haven't actually been on or seen in person yet. Setup looks perfect, but gunwales seem really high compared to the others - hard telling not seeing one in person.

I think they have a factory direct program going right now, but I haven't looked into it yet.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop,

The 29 Grand Sport has been my girl since her inception. Her hull, as an Express, is one wet boat. Same hull, but CC, and she is a dry rider, even with her slab sides. She has a good bottom.

My personal preference? Twin Zuke 300s or Verado 300s. 250s will move her well.

If your serious about buying one, let me know. My responsibility at Proline is the "big" boats (29, 32, and 35), and I started there 1 month before 29 Grand Sport HIN 001 was seatrialed. I know her oh so well. In heavy slop at speed, she is awesome!

Great information. I can understand the larger companies who have entities that manufacture both boats and engines, but the indies still baffle me. Scout builds boats and that is where most of their revenue comes from. Maybe they get factory incentives to rig Yamaha's - but if I like Merc's or Suzy's or Evi's, I'm probably going to switch rigs to get the engine I want. I can find another 'unsinkable' like Edgewater, Whaler, Everglades, etc. Any of those rigs would be at least equal to the Scout.

So.....I don't understand why an independent boat mfgr. would risk losing a move-up customer (and we all know how much we all like to move up) for what? A grand...maybe two from the engine mfgr.? I'd have to think the profit margin on the hull and options is a hell of a lot more than that.

...and it's not like we're a bunch of unedumacated dolts looking for a 16' bowrider with a stern drive and don't care what's under the cover. These rigs are for offshore fishing, cruising and work. IOW, they can't ram anything down *our* throats and not experience a downside.

Does any of this make sense?

Makes perfect sense! I would be one of those "move on" customers if the boat I was looking at and liked was only available with the power I didn't want. Because lest face it, All the new boats these days are very similar in their class and we are willing to adjust to a slightly different hull but not will to sacrifice the engine we really want.

Its true...the new boater who doesn't have much if any water time won't care what engine is on the boat. He will believe whatever the dealer is telling him. But for guys like me that have been on the water our whole lives, nothing a boat salesman is going to say will make me buy a boat with the engines I don't want. Hence.....a lost sale.

Makes perfect sense! I would be one of those "move on" customers if the boat I was looking at and liked was only available with the power I didn't want. Because lest face it, All the new boats these days are very similar in their class and we are willing to adjust to a slightly different hull but not will to sacrifice the engine we really want.

Its true...the new boater who doesn't have much if any water time won't care what engine is on the boat. He will believe whatever the dealer is telling him. But for guys like me that have been on the water our whole lives, nothing a boat salesman is going to say will make me buy a boat with the engines I don't want. Hence.....a lost sale.

Yamaha may not own many boat companies outright but they do own them in a different manor. Yamaha plays hardball with many boat builders.If you want there engines on a consistant basis and at the right price you play by their rules.In many situations this is Yamaha making the OEM suppling at a bare minimum 95 % of the boats they build with Yamaha engines.

Yamaha may not own many boat companies outright but they do own them in a different manor. Yamaha plays hardball with many boat builders.If you want there engines on a consistant basis and at the right price you play by their rules.In many situations this is Yamaha making the OEM suppling at a bare minimum 95 % of the boats they build with Yamaha engines.

Another question by an obvious industry neophyte - why are the boat builders referred to as "OEM's"? I know "OEM" is loosely applied in other industries, but with autos, planes, etc., the end product manufacturer is not the OEM - the OEM's are the peeps that supply the glass, interiors, drivetrain, etc.

Why is Edgewater considered an OEM to Yamaha? Isn't that like putting the cart before the horse?

The whole thing seems silly to me. Like another poster stated, if I were having an inboard built, I'd have a plethora of power options available. If I want a Yellowfin :1143_neener_neener_neener: , I have to buy it with the Mercs., remove the motors and controls, hawk them, then install the power and controls of my choice.

(yes, that was a pathetic attempt at drawing our webmaster :2403_worshipper: into the discussion where he can enlighten me ) :)

(yes, that was a pathetic attempt at drawing our webmaster :2403_worshipper: into the discussion where he can enlighten me ) :)

So, is my question to Wiley, which he never answered, answered? :504_shrugging:

Anyway, OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer". Is it the appropriate term? Probably not. But it is how we, in my case Proline, are referred to in the business. Hopefully, that answers you question about "OEMs".

Now, back to your quandry about engine builders and OEMs. It is a simple fact of $$$$$$. Nothing else. Always has been that way. How many older Centurys, Cobias, Stamas', Gradys, Pursuits (all Yamaha builders), etc., have your seen with Merc, OMC, even Suzuki 2S power? Plenty. Then Yamaha (and I have nothing against their motors or rigging or performance) comes in and drops some big bucks on the table.

Have you noticed the recent (within the past few years) appearance of Suzukis on a lot of transoms? Yes, they have an excellent motor. But at the high HP end, so does Yamaha, Etec, Opti, and Verado. So how come so many Zukes? $$$$$, my friend. :D

The whole thing seems silly to me. Like another poster stated, if I were having an inboard built, I'd have a plethora of power options available. If I want a Yellowfin :1143_neener_neener_neener: , I have to buy it with the Mercs., remove the motors and controls, hawk them, then install the power and controls of my choice.

That is not the case with Yellowfin at all. Although the majority have been Mercury they have built a large portion of boats with Yamahas. I have scene them rig Suzukis, Etecs and even a Honda. They will rig the motor of your choice.