Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Any Sailors Here?

The Volvo Ocean Race Game is a virtual race in real time that follows the same course and winds as the real Volvo Ocean Race. Once you sign up: you check the winds, set your sails, and place a heading that will get you to the checkpoint the fastest. It is a pretty fun race to take part in. You just check your boat every day or so. It is a fun thing to do since you are racing against so many forum friends.

http://www.VolvoOceanRaceGame.org

Hello, my name is Pat, and I am a VORG addict...

This game has really screwed up my life. At first, it was fun. Then I became more and more engrossed in game play. One Saturday morning I woke up at 5:00 am to make boat adjustments because THATS WHEN THE WINDS CHANGE! I beat a local celebrity, Menzoid, in Leg 5, and was so happy I bought my girlfriend a new car later that day. I taped a mast, complete with sail, to one of my dogs back, and put her on the roof of my house, just to learn more about wind effects. I lost my job at the bearing factory because I locked up the work computer trying to download wind predictions from Brazil, and everybodys direct deposit was late by twenty four hours. I hope my story will help one person avoid the hell called Volvo Ocean Race Game.

Good luck.

I've gotten a bit addicted as well.....I started on leg 4 and finished 74,000th +-....forgot about the start on leg 5...by the time I realized it, I was 152,000th+-, but I moved up in the ranking to 62,000th+- by the time it was over. On leg 6 I am currently around 3900th, gaining every hour, and only 75 or so miles back from the lead.

My boat name is "Torn Sails", which fits, because I blew out my spinnaker on leg 5....I just can't make myself pay for sail repair kits or fancy autopilots, etc.....yet.

I saw this thread, and I was always interested in this VORG thing. So, I just joined up. My boats name is "Dirty Oar". Currently I just left Rio, and I am in 78,991th place.

A few questions, it is really necessary to buy points? How helpful are the items you can buy? and for you more experienced captains out there, which are the best / most useful to have?

Many thanks.....I hope to be moving up in standing soon.

Oniram, you might regret joining. It is pretty addictive and it never seems to end. On the other hand we are glad to have another racer in the group. You can join the group called The Hull Truth. Hopefully people from THT forum will realize this is a better spot and they will continue the race over here.