Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Home Inspector

To follow up on RI Builders thread, I am currently in the process of buying a house, and need to hire an inspector for an upcoming check of the property. What criteria would you all set when hiring someone to do this. I am thinking that someone with the typical criteria you see advertised on all of the inspection companies websites is a good start, but also figure finding someone with actual construction experience, perhaps someone who does inspections & remodels or small jobs would be ideal. This will all be in the Spartanburg SC area, so if you have any specific recommendations, please share.

I would look for a Good GC, one that comes with good word of mouth from friends, I have a friend up here that does it (NC) but that won't help you in SC. There are real estate agents doing it in fact there is one around here and she does not know a flat screwdriver from a phillips at least a GC will be familar with the building. I have also been told that "most " HI's do not inspect roofs so get the chimney and valleys checked out by someone you know.Butch

I would recomend getting your licensed home inspector and a home inprovement contractor to do your inspection. As you are going through the house any needed repairs can be looked at the same time since these things have to be done in a timely fashion.

Additionaly you will be getting another opinion on things. You'll get the written report from the inspector and additional info from the contractor. Of course things are done differently in different states.

• 1 month later...

closed on tuesday, things went very smoothly, with the exception of the lovely witch at the USDA rural housing office. The loan I did was a rural development backed loan, which is carried through a regular ole mortgate bank, and aproved by the USDA. Basically it is a market interest rate, 30 year fixed loan that is 100% financing & no PMI. They work at their own pace there, I stopped by just to find out what the status was, and they were basically all standing around talking about their favorite tv show, and acted annoyed that I was even there, but that's an entire different thread. We got early occupancy and got some stuff in last weekend, and are going to get the bulk of the other stuff this weekend.