Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Edson Powerknob Installation

Make sure you like it before you drill it....My boat came with a knob drilled through the wheel....I took it off after getting racked by it one too many times, and the next thing to happen was I peeled a 1/4" wide by 1" long hunk of hide off of my hand on the sharp edge of the hole.

Make sure you like it before you drill it....My boat came with a knob drilled through the wheel....I took it off after getting racked by it one too many times, and the next thing to happen was I peeled a 1/4" wide by 1" long hunk of hide off of my hand on the sharp edge of the hole.

I will think about, so...

If its a "destroyer" style wheel, you're limited to drilling on the perimeter, or using the stainless straps (which aren't so bad)

If it's the other style, where there are flats radiating outward from the hub, you may be able to drill inside the flat, fixing a thru-bolt and bushing and avoid the sharp edge, and recess the knob a bit inside the perimeter from the danger zone.

Or change wheels to one where the knob is already installed... I put a Smiths' retrofit wheel on mine a couple of years ago and its working just great - about $80 dropped if I remember right. it was a one beer job to change out... no big deal.

I have strapped on an Edison on almost every boat I can remember owning and never thought to drill thru... just worked fine the way it was. Just be careful where the knob is when you are running in rough seas... if it is at 6 o'clock, a bump in the wrong direction can rearrange your.... eh... "package" in an abrupt and very uncomfortable way :o