Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Has not sold a boat in six months

Went to a broker (looking for a boat) in NJ and found out that they were one of the top five brokers in the four state region and they have not sold a used boat over $100k in the last 6 months

Absolutely incredible . . . especially since one of their brokers could not meet with me because he was going to his service club to meet some of his buddies . . . I guess he made a ton of money prior to the last 6 months

:504_shrugging:

what are you looking for?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to a broker (looking for a boat) in NJ and found out that they were one of the top five brokers in the four state region and they have not sold a used boat over $100k in the last 6 months

Absolutely incredible . . . especially since one of their brokers could not meet with me because he was going to his service club to meet some of his buddies . . . I guess he made a ton of money prior to the last 6 months

:504_shrugging:

I called about a small boat for less than 20k the dealer told me he would call right back in a few minutes. He did call back in a few days left a message that the boat was sold. I watched to see if the listing would be removed it never was. Two month latter & the boat is still up for sale he has my number yet he never called me back.

WHO TOLD YOU HE WAS GOING TO MEET SOME OF HIS BUDDIES? ARE YOU MAKING AN ASSUMPTION OR IS THAT FACT? ALSO DID YOU MAKE AN APPOINTMENT OR ARE YOUR FEELINGS JUST BRUISED BECAUSE HE FAILED TO JUMP THROUGH YOUR HOOP?

Sounds like you may be YELLING at me . . . your other two posts seem to indicate that you are a broker . . . but maybe not

Since I do not know who you are I don't know if you are the broker who was talking on the phone and told the other person that as soon as he got rid of the client that he would meet that person at the service club (I heard the name of the club I will not repeat it here) . . . people talk loud on the cell phone

By the way, if I am spending my money then you the broker will jump through my hoops . . . I don't jump through the broker's hoops other than for the formal offer and deposit

PS I do not bruise easily

Sounds like you may be YELLING at me . . . your other two posts seem to indicate that you are a broker . . . but maybe not

Since I do not know who you are I don't know if you are the broker who was talking on the phone and told the other person that as soon as he got rid of the client that he would meet that person at the service club (I heard the name of the club I will not repeat it here) . . . people talk loud on the cell phone

By the way, if I am spending my money then you the broker will jump through my hoops . . . I don't jump through the broker's hoops other than for the formal offer and deposit

PS I do not bruise easily

So you went to see the broker and you heard him talking to an unknown person on the cell phone saying as soon as he finished with his client he would meet them at the club? You did not ask to see any boats and you did not indicate your ability to buy or desire to buy now. No boats were mentioned no boats were shown it was a brief general inquiry about maybe perhaps buying a boat of some kind at some time in the future. So here is a broker that makes his living by selling boats would rather go meet his pals as assumed by you than sell a boat as is what he does by trade. In other words he would rather meet a so called friend than make a commission that he hasn't made for over six months as you say. I think there are some major gaps in the story and I think you felt insulted by the experience but I also think there may have been some serious communication issues here. He may or not have been wrong and you may or not be right so to start a thread that has turned into a bashing contest here is not doing anyone any good including you.

Well said Gus and the amount of coin your looking at spending they better JUMP and dang high .

I was talking to a fellow fisherman who made an interesting comment . . . If those brokers (most not all) were like that when sales are slim . . . can you imagine what they must have been like when sales were good and they just sat back and let the money roll in?

So you went to see the broker and you heard him talking to an unknown person on the cell phone saying as soon as he finished with his client he would meet them at the club? You did not ask to see any boats and you did not indicate your ability to buy or desire to buy now. No boats were mentioned no boats were shown it was a brief general inquiry about maybe perhaps buying a boat of some kind at some time in the future. So here is a broker that makes his living by selling boats would rather go meet his pals as assumed by you than sell a boat as is what he does by trade. In other words he would rather meet a so called friend than make a commission that he hasn't made for over six months as you say. I think there are some major gaps in the story and I think you felt insulted by the experience but I also think there may have been some serious communication issues here. He may or not have been wrong and you may or not be right so to start a thread that has turned into a bashing contest here is not doing anyone any good including you.

My my my . . . that is a whole lot of very incorrect assumptions you made there . . . especially since you likely were not there

First: The broker and I were at a marina looking at a boat when he decided to brush me off because his meeting someone was more important than finishing showing me the boat . . . that is his decision to make

Second: You were not part of the discussion so how would you know if we discussed price or my ability to pay . . . also I did not know that you had to be pre-qualified to talk to a broker

Third: I did not name a specific broker or any marina or any brokerage house . . . all I mentioned was the name of the state . . . and there is a pile of brokers in NJ . . . and some of them are OK to great

Fourth: This post is doing me absolutely no harm . . . it is simply making fellow members of this forum better aware of the experience that I am going through and allow them some insight in case they are looking for a boat

Fifth: I am not hiding behind a made up internet name like 'dirty dog' . . . that is kind of funny though, a person named 'dirty dog' fighting to maintain the reputation of ? ? ? ?

PLEASE take a great big deep breath and try to relax . . . have a good day :)

Dirty Dog

PS I know the story that a NJ broker is circulating that I did not have the money to buy a boat for which I had made the deposit . . . but if that is true, then why would I spent money and time to have boats surveyed if I could not afford them . . . and have signed a formal offer and made a 10% deposit . . . that BS story just does not hold water

The truth is that the listing said both engines had had a major overhaul when one of them had not . . . and I have documentation to prove that . . . Also, we never the left the dock for a sea trial because the engine was being taken apart by the owner's mechanic because the engine had been serverly overheated

And I have two witnesses who were there to collaborate my story . . . and both of them are well respected and are residents of NJ . . .

PS I met some very nice brokers in NJ who I would contact if I found a boat near them that met my requirements . . . I even chatted with one of them yesterday and I advised him that I had an offer out on a boat and made the 10% electronic transfer for the deposit . . . sea trial and survey next weekend Pete and Mike were both nice guys I met in NJ and they told me the up and up on two boats and that those boats were project boats that needed lots of work . . . I would work with them

Have a good day sir . . . I wish you luck in selling your clients boat in this economy . . . and maybe things get back on track for you