Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Garmin Support

On 4/11 I purchased a new 22 Grady White, I also bought a Garmin 740s. This is the first and last time I'll ever purchase another Garmin product. Just a litte history I've owned 19 boats but never had a Garmin product. I did have Northstar,

Furuno and Raymarine (never had a problem with any of these.

The bracket holding the transducer to the boat broke. That's when the fun began. First I called the dealer and I was told I had to purchase the whole assembly (new transducer, wiring, and everything just to get a bracket. I questioned the dealer and was told they purchase from a distributer. I then e-mailed Garmin and I was told they could supply a new bracket at no cost. However they needed a parts number because they don't carry all the types of brackets. It turns out Garmin buys it's transducers from another company and then I was told to contact the other company. Bottom line, the only way fpr me to get a cheap bracket for my transducer was to buy the whole assembly. This is the type of support Garmin gives to it's customers. Beware, Garmin uses the shotgun method of distribution of their products. You may be able to buy them any where, but if you have a problem then your on your own. Your better off buying from a reputable electronics dealer and a product that cares more about providing their customers with a quality product than just volume.

I have been giving it some serious thought about getting ready to throw the unit in the ocean. I would only be suffering more of a loss. As I said before, first I buy the Garmin then the bracket broke and I got the run around from the dealer and Garmin. I had to buy the whole assembly just to get a bracket. It's become more of a principle, if Garmin isn't willing to service and stand behind their product then I'll just pass along my experience and hope I can prevent another boater from an experience like I had. Thanks for your input and sharing your thoughts about Garmin.

I'm sorry but I don't think you have reached out to the right person. I'm not making this up. What has your trail been to date?

If you think someone is going to "hold your hand" thru this at Garmin you're mistaken. You got to dig a little and be respectful doing it.

Edited by Mist-Rest

At no time did I "ask any one to hold my hand". I'm a big boy and can show respect to any one that deserves to have it. I ask for one thing from Garmin, a bracket, I was willing to pay for the bracket. I found it very strange a detachable part holding the transducer to the boat required me to buy the whole assembly just to get a bracket. I've shown a tremendous amount of respect to the Garmin support department. It was during that time I was informed by Garmin they purchase transducers from other sources. Their support was to give me names of a supplier and I was supposed to find out if I could get a bracket from them.

Now if you consider I expected someone to hold my hand, then your right. However, I feel I paid a considerable amount of money for an item and all I ask for was a replacement part. As I mentioned before I've had Furuno, Northstar and Raymarine never had a problem. This isn't about money, "holding my hand", it's about the principle. For all I know after being in touch with Garmin's support, the only thing Garmin's products have in common is the name Garmin placed on the front of the unit.