Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Suzuki 300 2009 looses power every 5 minutes

The engine has 55 hours on it. It has been at the Suzuki Mechanic for close to two weeks. I was told that there could be a problem with the ethanol in the gas. The mechanic measured the amount of ethanol and found 6%. I picked up the boat and filled it with 65 gallons of ethanol free gas--(The tank holds 80 gallons). Fished a tournament today and the best I could get out of the engine was 5 minutes of run time, before the engine would die.. I would have to shut the engine off and wait a few minutes so the ball pump could inflate with gas. The boat manufacture has replaced all of the fuel lines, installed a new fuel filter and replaced the ball pump. He also replaced the vent hose. I have been told by an auto mechanic that I may need to install an external fuel pump?? I also heard the this problem is occurring with other Suzuki engines?? Since the engine is dieing from lack of fuel--what recommendations might you have??

Two men in Alaska are suing American Suzuki Motor Corp., alleging that the company's DF300 outboard overheats, causing safety concerns and shortening the life of the engine, according to court documents.

See Related Articles

Yamaha, Suzuki limit production in Japan

Suzuki adds marine accessories online

The lawsuit was filed in June in Superior Court in the First Judicial District at Ketchikan. Suzuki, which has not yet answered the complaint, asked that the case be moved to federal court.

The suit was filed by Ronald Moyer and Kevin Beck, who are seeking class-action status for the case. They have asked to represent a class of people who purchased Suzuki DF300 outboards and were Alaska residents at the time of purchase.

Moyer said that at the end of the 2008 season he learned that the fuel economy of the engine was dropping and tests discovered "substantial valve bypass," according to court documents.

"Examination of several Suzuki DF300 engines operated in the waters near Ketchikan also disclosed a pattern of valves, valve guides and valve seats with dimensions falling outside of design tolerances," the suit alleges. "Examination of Suzuki DF300 engines has also found, among other problems, cylinders that are out of round."

These problems are indicative of overheating, the suit says. This will lead to reduced service life of the engine and "compromised Moyer's ability to use the Suzuki DF300 engines safely while also achieving Suzuki's intended low emissions of pollution and good fuel economy."

It also causes a dangerous situation on the water, according to court documents.

Moyer said he is aware of at least 40 sales that fall within the proposed class definition and he believes that the class consists of more than 100 potential claimants.

The suit requests that claimants receive three times the amount of actual damages or $500 a violation, whichever is greater, as well as other relief.

A representative from Suzuki said the company could not respond to pending litigation.

No Overheat Alarms , bells whistles , anything?

Is the pick up tube in your fuel tank in good shape?

I have to ask , sorry, BUT is your primer bubble installed correctly ? Arrow towards motor and in a Vertical position ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...