Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Batteryknobs

novel idea that perhaps is a slight improvement on what is already does the job (wing nuts, nylocks, nuts).

i wouldn't mind them myself, but it would depend on price. If they are less than $7/pair i may consider, any more and i'll stick with the SS washer and nuts.

I got 3 batteries so costs are x3.

just went and checked their website >>> on sale for $15/pair. Sorry, i'll keep my $45 for something else.

the only benefit i see is that with the taller stem, there will be much less chance of the knob/grip interfering with the crimped cable terminals as sometimes it can be very tight especially with wing nuts. oh, no tools required is a plus too.

Also, the need for a washer or fender washer looks be eliminated and so one less item to worry about and lose.

Q: how often does one remove the wires/cables off their battery to make it worth while switching to these battery knobs? IMO, not often enough to warrant what already works fine. also, the use of nylocks may be better as they would be less prone to loosening with vibration as the battery knobs do not look like they have that feature.

Useful item, but the price needs to be lower to motivate buyers IMO.

Edited by bc282

novel idea that perhaps is a slight improvement on what is already does the job (wing nuts, nylocks, nuts).

i wouldn't mind them myself, but it would depend on price. If they are less than $7/pair i may consider, any more and i'll stick with the SS washer and nuts.

I got 3 batteries so costs are x3.

just went and checked their website >>> on sale for $15/pair. Sorry, i'll keep my $45 for something else.

the only benefit i see is that with the taller stem, there will be much less chance of the knob/grip interfering with the crimped cable terminals as sometimes it can be very tight especially with wing nuts. oh, no tools required is a plus too.

Also, the need for a washer or fender washer looks be eliminated and so one less item to worry about and lose.

Q: how often does one remove the wires/cables off their battery to make it worth while switching to these battery knobs? IMO, not often enough to warrant what already works fine. also, the use of nylocks may be better as they would be less prone to loosening with vibration as the battery knobs do not look like they have that feature.

Useful item, but the price needs to be lower to motivate buyers IMO.

I got a set of battery knobs a couple of years ago. I've got 1 battery and I take it out each winter storage so they save me some time and messing with tools. My battery is back in the dark and I don't like shorting the + and - with a wrench. They do have a nylock feature inside. There is a stainless piece inside about a 1/2" tall and then plastic thread in the knob. They are a bit pricy but I only have 1 battery.

I got a set of battery knobs a couple of years ago. I've got 1 battery and I take it out each winter storage so they save me some time and messing with tools. My battery is back in the dark and I don't like shorting the + and - with a wrench. They do have a nylock feature inside. There is a stainless piece inside about a 1/2" tall and then plastic thread in the knob. They are a bit pricy but I only have 1 battery.

:DI just picked up a new battery this weekend (Interstate) and it came with nuts instead of wingnuts. I commneted on how it would be nice if they included nylocks instead. They told me that Interstate does not recommend nylocks because they can melt. When they melt, they actually run down into the connections between the stud and terminal causing high resistance. This in turn causes the lead top to begin to melt.

I stated that there had to be other problems for this to occur. If the terminals and nylocks are installed correctly with good wiring the terminal shound never heat up. That being said, I have wingnuts on 1 battery (tightend with Channel Locks), the supplied nuts on 1 battery and nylocks on the other. :)