Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Are Boat Shows a Thing of the Past?

Also, for those boatbuilders like ourselves that are factory direct, it gives us a chance to get our actual boats in front of large numbers of people. We continuously here from people that come to see our boat, that it is much bigger in person and pics don't represent it well. For us, ads and forums and such are a great way to spark an interest in our boats. But it is giving people a chance to crawl over one and really look at it (particularly ride one at certain boat shows) that converts lookers to customers.

This doesn't even factor in all the other vendors that are at boat shows, besides just the actual boats. I have yet to ever go to a big boat show where I didn't find some product I thought was very useful and had never heard of before. It also lets a potential boatbuyer another unique oppurtunity, getting special add ons discussed with his builder. For instance, we had a customer really want a bow pulpit for our 19 foot boat. We had never looked at doing this before and were not sure how feasable it would be. So as the show wound down that evening, we were able to walk about and actually get three seperate pulpit/windlass guys to come over to our boat, take measurements and give us some good options. Don't overlook how helpful this can be if you are considering having a baot built for you.

And don't forget, boat shows are just fun.

Edited by Tideline Boats

You've been in the marine industry for a long time. Do you own a boat ? How do you pick the one you want ?

I am lucky: I live in S Florida. I never miss a boat show in Lauderdale, Miami or West Palm Beach. They are events, each with their own appeal. It seems that I always have a friend looking to buy a boat for these shows. It is an ideal place to develop ideas and decide on features and electronics. Plus, the water tests open up more possibilities.

For example, this year I was with a buddy who bought a trip/36CC. He was looking at all the big CC consoles to see where he would set the wheel, gauges, the electronics and controls. We water tested a similar trip CC boat and asked the V. competent captain what he preferred.. You cannot get any of this online. Then, to see the electronics you are considering and mess with them on the demo strips..

Then there are the engine makers, promo discounts, plastic surgery, warm beers, booth Ladies.. It's all good. I do fall victim to impulse buying as well...

Marc

Plastic surgery is the #1 reason to attend these shows, the boats are all booring.

Mike...my first time at the MBS and I was blown away. I spent 10% of your show budget just getting there, hotels, food, booze, jewelry for the wife and tips. Wow FL is Expen$ive. $pent three days at the show and never saw your booth. Should increase your show budget?

I rode 10 different boats and really got an understanding of the differences between boats of the same mfg and between mfgrs.

Hint for next year...I found out that some of the mfgrs will take you fishing for a sea trial!!!

And nope I didn't pull the trigger. But now I know what I want.

• 4 months later...

Boat shows do possess value in the present age. Yeah , in this era of globalization internet has got a rampant role and it has circumscribed every sphere of our life. Still boat shows has got important value. Buying boat requires huge investment and boat shows are the exact location where we can get to know about different types of boats and features. We also get to know the latest deals offered by different manufacturers. But in online we can only see the pictures of the boat, no practical experience can we gain.