Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Minumum Deadrise for Next CC

I'm in the market for a late model 21-22' CC. Most of the use will be inshore/ICW/around inlet jetties due to sea conditions. I do want to be be able to go out 25 miles when conditons warrant.

I've looked into a Sea Hunt Triton 220 with 18 degree and Sailfish 218 which is variable 22-24 degree. I understand the trade-off between stability and rolling when bottom fishing. Is 18 enough for a relatively comfortable run in "real" 2-3' seas? I know it depends on wave period, but I have never been out that far in a boat this size. Smallest I've been out that far in was a 26' Pursuit with twins (thanks Mike).

The flipside is that I like to fish shallow water now and then which would also favor the lower deadrise. I think my problem is that I need 2 boats!

Its going to be hard to find a boat that will do both of those jobs. Pick whichever you will do the most of and make a few compromises for the other... Personally I would look at a Bay Boat.... I own a 2360 Sailfish and love it but the 218 definitely seems like more of an offshore boat than a bay/inland boat... To also be honest, I have never noticed too much difference in rest stability between a Deep Vee and a Modified Vee boat, but the ride is a dramatic difference...

Its going to be hard to find a boat that will do both of those jobs. Pick whichever you will do the most of and make a few compromises for the other... Personally I would look at a Bay Boat.... I own a 2360 Sailfish and love it but the 218 definitely seems like more of an offshore boat than a bay/inland boat... To also be honest, I have never noticed too much difference in rest stability between a Deep Vee and a Modified Vee boat, but the ride is a dramatic difference...

Thanks Cracker. I'm talking to someone selling a 2006 218 with an F150, 320 hours, warranty to 2012, mostly offshore from Port Canaveral. I'm not a speed demon, and as long as it is not a negative from a resale standpoint I'm fine with the power. I've been reading the Sailfish Forum about performance. We looked at a couple last weekend, a new one and a 2005 repo. The layout is great, I'm just concerned about the draft and stability at rest. If I really want skinny water, I can always bring a small kayak and anchor the boat.

A bay boat would be perfect for the combined fishing I do, but from a family standpoint I need the freeboard of a CC.

I need to do a sea trial which will be a big help in deciding.

Thanks Cracker. I'm talking to someone selling a 2006 218 with an F150, 320 hours, warranty to 2012, mostly offshore from Port Canaveral. I'm not a speed demon, and as long as it is not a negative from a resale standpoint I'm fine with the power. I've been reading the Sailfish Forum about performance. We looked at a couple last weekend, a new one and a 2005 repo. The layout is great, I'm just concerned about the draft and stability at rest. If I really want skinny water, I can always bring a small kayak and anchor the boat.

A bay boat would be perfect for the combined fishing I do, but from a family standpoint I need the freeboard of a CC.

I need to do a sea trial which will be a big help in deciding.

I have had my 22ft Pathfinder out 25 miles many times, Inshore I have the use of the trolling motor and can fish skinny water. When it is 20kt winds I dont want to be out there in anything.

You answered your own question , SEA TRIAL , that's the best way to find out what you want to know as all makes and models will ride different due to material, DR, power/weight, where the console is located and more.

I am not a speed demon and like the 18* DR on my pacific 23, very stable boat.

Trophy has a very nice 21' cc....I'm a not really a CC fan, but I like theirs. Might be worth taking a peek. About 10k less than the sailfish seems to be, at least on boattrader.com

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-TRO...103-CC-94558831

http://www.trophyfishing.com/brochure.asp?...6&year=2009

122466_p_t_640x480_image06.jpg

To get a decent ride in rougher conditions, a bay boat or something without much deadrise isn't going to give you the ride of a CC, but a good CC in that 21' range will still go pretty skinny. Not a flats boat, but plenty good for fishing in just a couple feet of water on the drift or at anchor, yet still a much better ride and more trustable offshore.

this would be a great skinny water second boat ;-)

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-CAR...FF-J14-94741486

perhaps ---- Parker or Maycraft. I have a MayCraft 20'cc. I think 14* deadrise. Stabil on drift. Conditions will dictate speed on plane. I've never had a bad ride (with respect to sea condition).

Parker is a good choice also.

Rusty

Parker 21 SE will give you the skinny water capabilities and also allow you to go nearshore as conditions permit. Rocksolid boat so you'll feel safe.