Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

help with Downriggers

I normally troll for fish but I have become interested in bottom fishing. I need, at least one electric downrigger, as a starter. today I did a little shopping and saw them locally for between $400 and $600 on up. I hate to invest that much money if I am only going to use them once or twice a year..... or discover I don't like it....

I note there are some units on ebay (electrical) by "Big John" - has anyone used them? are they any good? they seem to be to cheap to be any good....

I am the first to realize you get what you pay for - all I am interested in is a unit that will operate as it is supposed to. If it is something I want to do regularly I will upgrade....

What should i be looking for in a downrigger to fish for bottom fish in 600 + or - feet of water?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie in this area.

Based on your description of the use I believe you need an electric reel not a downrigger. Downriggers are normally used for trolling not bottom fishing.

Here is a quick link to downrigger fishing. Caveat - I didn't read the article just a quick glance to see if it was close. http://www.queenscreek.com/downriggerfishing.html

And here are some pics of fish caught on an electric reel and the reel. Anthony is a member here and a good guy. http://www.fish-ng.com/html/gallery.htm

Hope this helps.

Based on your description of the use I believe you need an electric reel not a downrigger. Downriggers are normally used for trolling not bottom fishing.

Here is a quick link to downrigger fishing. Caveat - I didn't read the article just a quick glance to see if it was close. http://www.queenscreek.com/downriggerfishing.html

And here are some pics of fish caught on an electric reel and the reel. Anthony is a member here and a good guy. http://www.fish-ng.com/html/gallery.htm

Hope this helps.

Right on. :605_thumbs_up:

I note there are some units on ebay (electrical) by "Big John" - has anyone used them? are they any good? they seem to be to cheap to be any good....

Capt. Mike - Big Jon's are great units. My Dad put the first set of manuals on our boat in 1969, then a set of 4' electrics in 1980. Still have those, the motors have been rebuilt twice by the factory for a nominal charge. We used them in the Great Lakes until moving to salt water in 1995. Haven't had any problems with them. You can probally buy them cheaper now than when they were introduced. If trolling super deep, then you need a heavier weight. We custom make 12-15lb weights for our ventures into 500ft.

I second Anthony's PAR's. I have three and all the commercial grouper fisherman I know use them. Great product and service. Pair one with a 114 4/0 Senator or a 6/0 and you will be set. I use 4/0s stand up and a 6/0 on a bent butt. They are fast, powerful,quiet and reliable. That is a 6/0 PAR stand up in my sig pic

Only thing is I don't know if Anthony's PAR's are made for that type of depth......give him a call.

I have a pair of electric ( Big Jon) downriggers which I purchased in 1980, they have been used every year from places such as Mexico to Alaska, finally replaced the motors last year as they were tried ------- simple job 4 bolts and electrical connection and good to go ! one of the best fishin buys I've made!