Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anchor chain

Went with 5/16'ths, 18' of it, which is about 3/4 the length of my boat. Not much scientific in it, just needed a hunk of chain and estimated the length by walking it on the floor of boaters world. Also trying to go back to a smaller anchor, the one I'm using barely fits in my anchorwell.

Okay I'll look at some 5/16" or the next size up. I'm leaning towards 20' of chain. Right now, though, its only got about 4'. I rarely have a problem with it holding, but sometimes it doesn't set easy.

Most of the time I'm in water 40' or less, with probably 70% of my anchored time in less than 20'. I'd like to be able to anchor in deeper water with ease.

I just got the 30-50% notice from boater's world, so I'm off to there this weekend to get chain, a new backup anchor, and some other goodies.....

:2261_high:

I should also mention that the original anchor that I had was a "dual purpose" POS :753_hammer_hitting_head: . It fit in the locker of the Mako very easily but one side of the fluke set the spades at a higher degree than the other (something like 45 deg. vs 30 deg). I don't know about you but I couldn't say which side of the fluke would land in 10 feet of water much less a hundred. Changing the anchor likely had as much to do with my set rate as the chain. Good news is I have not issues setting in sand now. :605_thumbs_up: