Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What constitutes "offshore"?

With regard weather forecasts "offshore" is generally considered beyond 60nm

Not sure that's true re boating distance. I always believed that if you were within sight of land it was inshore, out of sight of land, offshore.

In Florida most people consider the Gulfstream offshore. That is where it might get nasty at times and a lot of boats founder. The stream could be between 6 to 45 or even 45 to 100 miles depending on your location.

Between 70-80 off Jax.

I think there is a lot of places that qualify as being off shore but off shore starts ...out of site of land. A regular offshore vessel that typicaly fishes 100s of miles out calls just out of site of land the beach but thats because it is to them.

Also for those comparing EPIRB requirements and distance, just about all of the real world (that is excluding the US at this point :)) generally require (that is mandate) EPIRB's beyond 2nm for anything that floats.

Holey crap! Seriously? That seems a little excessive.

Seriously and as time goes by and boaties attitudes don't change with the times it could get worse.

However withinn these 2nm mandated legislated distances there are excempted areas (quite big areas, bays etc) but really this is more about political BS and really not looking at the scenario that could occur.

This type of legislation is focused on those that look only at the very minimum basic requirements and would take the easy way out every time if given the opportunity.

Serious offshore people do have their own plans which go well beyond what would normally be expected but more and more boaties are wanting to go further and further. Around there there a 5 to 6 metre (16-19 feet) travelling 80 miles offshore and they think they are smart doing that but one day they will get caught and they will be the first looking for someone else to blame for their stupidity. It is not a case of if but when and we have already seen idiots stuff up.

Idiots needs protection for their own good, they don't know any better but they believe technology will help/save them, not always.

Also for those comparing EPIRB requirements and distance, just about all of the real world (that is excluding the US at this point :)) generally require (that is mandate) EPIRB's beyond 2nm for anything that floats.

Holey crap! Seriously? That seems a little excessive.

Seriously and as time goes by and boaties attitudes don't change with the times it could get worse.

However withinn these 2nm mandated legislated distances there are excempted areas (quite big areas, bays etc) but really this is more about political BS and really not looking at the scenario that could occur.

This type of legislation is focused on those that look only at the very minimum basic requirements and would take the easy way out every time if given the opportunity.

Serious offshore people do have their own plans which go well beyond what would normally be expected but more and more boaties are wanting to go further and further. Around there there a 5 to 6 metre (16-19 feet) travelling 80 miles offshore and they think they are smart doing that but one day they will get caught and they will be the first looking for someone else to blame for their stupidity. It is not a case of if but when and we have already seen idiots stuff up.

Idiots needs protection for their own good, they don't know any better but they believe technology will help/save them, not always.

2nm??? that is silly 13foot whalers are often seen at 2nm.

2nm??? that is silly 13foot whalers are often seen at 2nm.

So are Jet Ski's and paddling Kayakers but length makes no difference and when you are in the water the vessel you might have come from makes absolutely no difference.

I guess it might be OK if Greenpeace supplies all the equiptment to everyone

Edited by boatmanalso

• 2 weeks later...

200 miles and out is Off Shore.

Less than 200 is Near Shore.

Ok. So what would be your minimum equipment for a 50-mile near-shore trip? Again, assuming a boat and sea conditions appropriate for the trip.

How often do you go out that far. If regularly I would invest in a EPIRB. If once or twice a year you can rent them from BoatUS.

If 100 miles regularly then self-inflating life-raft and upgraded PFD with flashing lights.

In FL you are never more than 20 miles from another boat. Sometimes it's like I95 out there.

3500 GPH Rule, Handheld waterproof VHF/GPS with DSC and At least 2 gallons fresh water. You can't survive long without water..

In FL you are never more than 20 miles from another boat. Sometimes it's like I95 out there.

3500 GPH Rule, Handheld waterproof VHF/GPS with DSC and At least 2 gallons fresh water. You can't survive long without water..

3500 GPH Rule? I've not heard of that before. Please elaborate.

3500 GPH Rule? I've not heard of that before. Please elaborate.

Maybe one of these?

ru1405_L.jpg