Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What constitutes "offshore"?

Hmmm this is interesting. Have you checked with your boat insurance what they consider offshore? I do know a insurance company will not cover offshore accidents unles you buy a special policy. Where I am that is anywhere off the mainland. That means if you are outside the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel you are Offshore.

3500GPH Rule ???? A one armed man with a 2 gallon bucket could give a 3500GPH rule 3/4's of an hour head start and still beat it.

First - there isn't anyone dragging water from the bilge up to the gunnel in a bucket doing better that a bilge pump. Though frankly I would hope that both would be happening!

Secondly - I would hope most off-shore vessels have more than one bilge pump.

Edited by Menzies

3500GPH Rule ???? A one armed man with a 2 gallon bucket could give a 3500GPH rule 3/4's of an hour head start and still beat it.

First - there isn't anyone dragging water from the bilge up to the gunnel in a bucket doing better that a bilge pump. Though frankly I would hope that both would be happening!

Secondly - I would hope most off-shore vessels have more than one bilge pump.

A frightened man with a bucket won't run flat either like those relying on battery power.

Thirdly - I would expect ALL off-shore vessels are self draining and if there is more water in the bilge than on the outside then you have a problem no pump will handle.

Edited by Kerry

• 1 month later...

For many people, they spend too much time looking at the water and watching the waves as the boat speeds to the best spot to begin fishing. So, if you get seasick, don't go fishing offshore.

You don't need to be on the water in a boat to get seasick. Seen a person get seasick sitting on the back of a dingy with their feet on the beach, forty feet short of the water.

• 4 weeks later...

Where did you hear this crock of s,,t?

Have you tried it?

It's only true for an 8' dink.

After 15 minutes bailing you wanna die rather than pick up that bucket again. The bilge pump is still going..

• 3 weeks later...

Really folks, ya'll want to get into the exact gpm/boat/situation that is worthy for offshore? How about plan for the forecast going quadruple what the weather channel said... how about knowing how your particular vessel handles within 2 miles in some nasty snot weather before running 60 miles? Please understand that "light n variable" forecast may quickly become 10-15ft in the stream. I don't give a crap about boat brands... been in the biz for 20 years. But when it comes to "offshore", be prepared for what mother nature dishes out. Just so you know, lost a few solid commercial friends to the unexpected... don't think it can't happen. Stream moves north, wind jacks up from the south... happens all the time and it gets way ugly. My personal "oh sh*t" moment had us 50 miles offshore w/ a rogue in December...I ended up on the hullside and my bud was hanging by the leg on the leaning post. Had 3ft of whitewater sliding down a 15ft face. Feel free to argue about what boat you need, but in the end it doesn't matter. Know your capabilities and wait for the right conditions... and definitely arrange the buddy boat system if you think you are "offshore". "I'll go if you go" has gotten my butt kicked on many occasions!

• 1 month later...

axlaxl has it right. Whatever the forecast is plan for at least double and know your capabilities. I fish out of MS and a normal run out is around 100 nm to the deep water and the fish. If we plan on going around 150 nm we try to buddy boat. We have a spot and 2 VHF's and always hope for the best. If worse comes to worse hopefully we have enough time to shout out a may-day.

• 3 months later...