Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Earl, pull the boat or not?

Ahh, whether to pull the boat off the mooring in Chatham MA or not? That is the big question. A slow to no news day has the Boston Media on hyper drive with Earl.

You would wonder if Boston Channel 5 management could be cited for causing civil unrest. It is a miracle if Home Depot in Bourne has any plywood and generators left after their noon broadcast today.

I guess I am kind of jaded after last winters false alarms.

Time will tell. The thing is just under 500 miles across. Even though it is currently expected to miss by a decent margin the effects will probably be felt well inland in the region.

The coverage I have been seeing (CH9 Manchester and ABC) has not been that hysterical. They are suggesting precautions but not telling folks to board-up. I've just laid-in additional supplies of crackers, canned fruit and juices. I cleaned my water bottles and will fill them later if it starts to look more threatening.

TV sells by having more people watch. They get more ratings by piquing folks intrest by wonderring if they are going to die. On the bright side, it is better than down-playing the possibilities and having folks die in ignorance which has happenned way too often. An example of that is "Katrina" where even the governor ignored warnings to make preperations.

Good luck to you and anyone else in the storm-track.

Just read this in The Globe, as of 734am. NWS is saying Early may pass within 30 miles of the coast.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/09/forecasters_ext.html

Edited by Kamper

Well just to let you know I did pull the sf23 off the mooring, I took it back to the house and used the opportunity to pressure wash the hull and clean things up a bit.

Friday night in Chatham we got 3.5 inches of rain with 35 to 45 mph winds, Earl kind of fizzled out.

I would have left it on the mooring but the fishing boats came into the cove.

It makes me nervous when these guys are rafting up on a mooring designed for a 27 foot boat with 2 or more 45 Plus footers.

I was back in early Saturday AM before the crowd hit. It was kind of surreal being out on the water with no one else there yet. It felt like one of those Indian summer days in December when it hits 70.

The rest of the weekend was great, Monday was a premier day. Not to many days left up here this season.

My son spent the whole weekend wake boarding with my 17'BW, it must be nice to be a young adult.

Thanks Kamper for your concern.