Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Rigging my new 29cc with electronics....dealer recommended this setup

Suggested by dealer :

1 12 inch furuno screen navnet3d, fishfinder and radar, and chartplotter

1 12 inch screen with garmin chartplotter for backup

1k transducer

4k furuno dome

Standard VHF

Clarion stereo.

What do you think? I have no idea on pricing yet, getting those numbers today <gulp> ...

Jupiter 29fs. Alot of inshore and I will make some offshore runs. XM is a definite. Interesting, just got off the phone with them...they were saying that the Garmin will be the primary chartplotter, and the furuno will be on the other screen with the FF and radar. My question back was "then why are we doing the 3D Furuno NavNet and not using the chartplotter, unless the Garmin goes down" Good question. Awaiting an answer.

Thanks for all thoughts.

I have both a Garmin 3010 chartplotter and a Furuno NavNet 1942 vx2 on our Pursuit. I use the Furuno for sonar, radar, and backup navigation. I use the Garmin for primary navigation and XM weather. The Garmin display looks much nicer than the Furuno, it updates faster, and it is much more intuitive when figuring out how to do things with it. The Furuno pretty much requires having the owners manual to figure out how to do a lot of stuff.

I thought about having two of the same brand so they could be 'networked', but in the end it didn't make sense to do that since they sit right next to each other. If one was at a lower helm and one was at an upper helm it might make more sense to have two of the same brand so they could be networked.

p3070_15.jpg

Tom - They like the idea of a backup. If one whole system goes down, then I can slide over to the next. In this case, the Garmin is the primary plotter. Furuno on the other screen for sounder and radar. If Garmin goes down, I can slide over to the Furuno for the backup. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Suggested by dealer :

1 12 inch furuno screen navnet3d, fishfinder and radar, and chartplotter

1 12 inch screen with garmin chartplotter for backup

1k transducer

4k furuno dome

Standard VHF

Clarion stereo.

What do you think? I have no idea on pricing yet, getting those numbers today <gulp> ...

I would go Furuno with both head units for sure. This way if one head unit crashes you can have a full system on one screen. The other way if you have Furuno/Garmin if the Furuno dies all you have is a Garmin gps.

I would also get a second vhf and seperate antenna to be safe.

Not only will you have a full Furuno networked system but it will look cleaner than having mismatched screens at the helm. Do not forget epirb! If you need some pricing on anything I will be happy to help.