Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Transom/Trim Issues from Trailering

I was following a brand new 25' boat down the motorway (freeway) and it had a big evenrude (I cant remember the exact HP) and it was bouncing all over the place, so much so that it really drew my attention to it. That stretch of road would be amongst the smoothest in this country, and most roads are not that good.

I use a steel bracket for mine, adds about 30 seconds at launching or retreval, no big deal if you ask me.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if that bouncing puts more strain on the transom than say, going through a wave at speed while trimming the engine up? I know which action happens more often.

I've been around boats for a while..and I've never seen transom damage that anyone could apply to trailering. Rot? Yes. Trailering? No. I've personally never seen a trim/tilt ram fail while trailering, but I'd be intersted in hearing from anyone that has, and what they did about it.

IMO..those wedges and savers and stuff are all geared toward making a market for a demand that isn't realistic. If you really are that concerned about doing damage to it, stick a 2x4 underneath it. Just seems like you'd have more things to worry about.

I use the M-Y Wedge on my Yamaha F200. My manual says NOT to trailer with the engine up in the lock position. This is the best product I have found and many other use it as well.

http://www.m-ywedge.com/

I bought this neat little wedge for my Verado and it is great. Absorbs shock very well, simple to use, and is small and easy to store. :605_thumbs_up:

hey murky.

I've never heard of hydraulics failing, but I've always used somehting for the transom.

Hey Joe. I have always protected the tranny while towin' too, (and I know it increases tranny life regardless of the comments to the corntrary). That said, some folks like ta werk on and maintain their holes in the water more then the rest of us. So whatever floats their boats is fine with me!!! :)

Side note: I decided not to throw the 1500 on the little b'hole I told ya I bought, as the 1250 skeered me enough (chine walkin' 60 MPH + or -) so I picked up a sweet Glasply Cuddy which has the 12" jack plate where I hung the ol' 1500 on rather then killin' meself on the lighter boat.

I can now go crabbin' n' chasin' salmon with Bro HO in the sound this summer.

Good ta see ya. JR

The thing I don't understand, and maybe I am just slow, but how does the MYwedge save your transom? The weight is still being distributed the exact same way, right down the trim ram, just now it is also through the MYwedge. I can see how that saves the hydraulics but not the transom. Does anyone use those extensions from the trailer up to the lower unit? Those seem like they would not only save the hydraulics but also redirect some of the weight into the trailer and off the transom.

-Svence

The thing I don't understand, and maybe I am just slow, but how does the MYwedge save your transom? The weight is still being distributed the exact same way, right down the trim ram, just now it is also through the MYwedge. I can see how that saves the hydraulics but not the transom. Does anyone use those extensions from the trailer up to the lower unit? Those seem like they would not only save the hydraulics but also redirect some of the weight into the trailer and off the transom.

-Svence

My bracket slots into the trailer and around the lower unit.

My bracket slots into the trailer and around the lower unit.

I have to point this out. That means that instead of having a 500 lb outboard bouncing around on the transom, you now have a 4000 lb boat bouncing around on the outboard.

So every time the boat moves up and down on the trailer, you are transferring that force to the outboard??

I just don't buy it, I think these products are nonsense. Has anyone actually seen a transom fail that WASN'T due to good old fashioned rot?

I have to point this out. That means that instead of having a 500 lb outboard bouncing around on the transom, you now have a 4000 lb boat bouncing around on the outboard.

So every time the boat moves up and down on the trailer, you are transferring that force to the outboard??

I just don't buy it, I think these products are nonsense. Has anyone actually seen a transom fail that WASN'T due to good old fashioned rot?

That was my question too, and so far I think the unspoken answer is "no".

That was my question too, and so far I think the unspoken answer is "no".

No Joe: I submit the answer is yes. :605_thumbs_up:

I have a small 16' Bayhole with a 1250 Merc on it that the guy I purchased it from broke the still solid transom, (BTW: that means it is NOT ROTTON), with a 200 mile tow from Lake Chelan to North Seattle, (on relitively smooth roads).

I now tow that same boat with a brace from the bottom of the skaag, (on the LU of the 1250), to the drain hole at the bottom of said now reinforced transom, (with a new 5/16" aluminum wrap).

The engine used to flopp all over the place and stress the cracked tranny and now it is solid in a geometrically stable format that doesn't cause further damage.

Bracing to the trailer seems problematic to me as well, so I guess you could argue that a poorly thought out transom brace could make matters even worse, that still doesn't void a proper OB brace increasing the life of a transom. ;)

Anybody can argue that gravity doesn't werk cause it takes a little time to harm said tranny and since a solid transom can stand some of the punishment you can kid yerself that it is not happening. FACT IS: it is happening, as simple high school geometry will tell ya that if ya think jus' a wee bit.

Me over priced $.02. JR