Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Transom/Trim Issues from Trailering

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever had issues with transom or trim/tilt that they can attest were related to trailering? I've never had these transom savers/ect. and my family has been boating with trailered outboards for 30 years.

I got away with not doing anything about it for years too. That said, it only takes one small seal failure for disaster to strike in a big expensive way. Whether you go with an off the shelf transom saver or a 2x4, it's cheap insurance.

In my experience, when a motor is tilted all the way up, it is surprisingly well balanced. I've helped replace a couple of trim pumps, and even on a ~400 lb motor, you can hold the engine in the up position without too much effort. There is just not that much stress on the hydraulics.

If you had a really unusual situation - like trailering over a long bumpy dirt road, etc - I am sure they would help. But I can't imagine it being a real problem for most people in normal paved road conditions.

In my experience, when a motor is tilted all the way up, it is surprisingly well balanced. I've helped replace a couple of trim pumps, and even on a ~400 lb motor, you can hold the engine in the up position without too much effort. There is just not that much stress on the hydraulics.

If you had a really unusual situation - like trailering over a long bumpy dirt road, etc - I am sure they would help. But I can't imagine it being a real problem for most people in normal paved road conditions.

Some sort of transom saver is a must, or yer jus' askin' fer eventual expensive repairs.

Especially if you tow a lot (even over paved roads).

It is simple geometry, and even though ya think there is no problem you are really stressing out the tranny with 400-500 lbs swingin' around, (much more on twin engines).

I have a 12" off tranny jack plate, which really increases stress on a very light 270lb single 150 HP OB, (n' a 25 HP kicker which adds another 100 lb + or -). I have made the transom very strong but wouldn't think of a tow without a brace to hold the weight from werkin' the old beast back and forth.

Me overpriced $.02. JR