Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Depth sounder advice

I have a 16' Lund Explorer. It came with a low priced Lowrance on it, and it's still there. I'm not a fisherman; my primary use for the boat it getting me to spots to scuba dive.

I'm paranoid about hitting underwater obstacles. Part of that paranoia comes from hitting underwater obstacles in previous boats and pranging props.

I would appreciate hearing from members with advice on a first rate depth sounder. I would like to say that money is no object, but I would like to keep the cost at $500 +-. I don't need GPS built in. I have a Garmin that's good enough for my purposes.

Thanks much

Grant

I have a 16' Lund Explorer. It came with a low priced Lowrance on it, and it's still there. I'm not a fisherman; my primary use for the boat it getting me to spots to scuba dive.

I'm paranoid about hitting underwater obstacles. Part of that paranoia comes from hitting underwater obstacles in previous boats and pranging props.

I would appreciate hearing from members with advice on a first rate depth sounder. I would like to say that money is no object, but I would like to keep the cost at $500 +-. I don't need GPS built in. I have a Garmin that's good enough for my purposes.

Thanks much

Grant

Hello Grant,

if you have a Garmin with the software uploaded with your area of contours, wrecks, obtacles, etc. you shouldn't have a problem. in my case i have a gps and a fish/sonar on the dash and a handheld garmin that i use as a reference or emergency. i've been thinking to get one of those gauge looklike depth sounder to install on my boat, i have a 30' scarab that needs at least 4' of water draft and hate to run into sandbars or barnicles, they go for about $100 from ebay. I live in the Bradenton/Tampa Bay area is very shallow arround here so I have to be careful when going thru the channels and fishing spots.

A good advice is to know your area, verywere else you go just be carefull.

Nelson

Thanks, Nelson. My GPS is much more basic than that. Most of the wrecks that I dive are written up and I have the coordinates, so I just need/have an inexpensive unit. My grief comes from sudden changes in depth in the St Lawrence River. The walls quite literally drop off from a couple of feet to 180'. Since the walls were man made when the seaway was created,they are shear cliffs. Add to that boulders that are all over the place and it's a maze to navigate. This year, it is even worse because the water level is way down. I got a small electric trolling motor on Ebay that will help a lot, but I'd still like something better than the cheap Lowrance.

MrPat

I would love forward looking sonar, but as you say, I could spend more than the boat is worth. :-)

The Lowrance sometimes sees bottom at the speeds I travel, but not always. And, I'm not a speed demon by any means. I'm not looking for something to compensate for abject stupidity, just something that is reliable and accurate.