Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Replacement Tires

Decided to go with the General Grabbers and then could not get them from any dealer in town. I was getting ready to drag the boat on a 1500 mile round trip so I needed new tires quick. Ended up going with Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country. So far I like them, they have nice wet/dry traction, a quiet comfortable ride and they look pretty good. They were a few more dollars than the Generals but I can't complain so far..

I did the same when bought mine, asked others and in my case went for the Nitto Grabblers, on a F250 superduty, paid $875 set of four mounted and balanced, I pull a 5000 lbs scarab, going on 25000 miles and looking great, rotate every two oil changes (6000 miles) also this tires were original designed for offroad in sand and gravel performance, but work great on wet surfaces. on the boat ramp never spin the wheels, push on the accelerator slowly and surely brings the boat right out of the ramp, I give alot of credit to the Nitto's.

In my search did not hear great things about the Firestone's, they wear faster than other brands, so I was told

Meckey Thompson's are also good , but pricy

Goodyear, good,

Toyo's excelent,

MasterCraft not bad,

Uniroyal don't go there,

Kuhmo's so, so. but no negative comments.

Tire manufacturers write lots of wonders on their labels but few stand behind their products, I put 4 new AmeriTrail on my trailer and less than a year one looks cracking on the sides. By the way I take care of things, wash regularly, cover them from the sun and keep them with tire protectant on. The shop I bought them from didn't know why, but also did not offer any warranty or exchange. Also it depends how much they want to help and go far they're going with you.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I second what Boz said. I replaced my Jeep Grand Cherokee tires years ago with Michelin Cross Terrains. I have over 60K (honest)miles on them and still have plenty of tread on them. I just had to replace the tires on y wife's Highlander and I went with the same tires. 2 things though...they are pricey and that model is discontinued. But, I would not hesitate to go to Michelins again.

CHarlie

Nobody out there has any words of wisdom on this subject?

Don't know where you are located. If you are near a Costco they have good prices on Michlin. Couple of years ago I had a piece of metal scoot across the freeway and wack my tire. Got schredded. Costo replaced free under road hazzard warranty.