Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Where to put EPIRB?

I spent the past 4 days completely working over the boat. Finally got a EPIRB, its an ACR category 2. I also got a ditch bag and got it mounted. It has the pocket for the EPIRB but I know that it can be activated if its out of the mount and gets wet. I was wondering if it would be ok to keep in the ditch bag pocket even though it wouldn't be stored in the mount?

If it is automatic deployment where it automatically activates when wet or when it floats from its mount, I would say mount it where it can float free. If the worst happens fast you want it to activate immediatly. Especially if you are injured and not able to grab the bag and take it out. Ditch bags float so if you are knocked out and it is in the bag floating it may never get wet enough to turn on.

On the other hand, you want it to stay with you if you are in the water. Assuming you can grab the bag, you are good to go.

Not sure if this is a good idea, or even possible but can you mount it so it floats free but is tethered to the ditch bag? As long as the bag will float free then it will activate and stay with the bag. Just make sure you get to the bag.

During two different inspections, the USCG strongly recommended that my epirb be mounted where it could float free in the event of a sinking. This struck me as odd, considering that mine is a manual release!

I'd prefer to keep mine in and tethered to my ditch bag, but instead, I bought a plb for the ditch bag, and will be mounting the epirb on the railing behind the helm chair.