Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Need Some Help.................................Please

I have a Garmin Fishfinder 160 Blue on a 17' skiff. I really want a Chartplotter/GPS. I have toyed with the idea of buying a hand held like a Colorado or an Oregon but, wonder if I would not be better off buying a newer Sounder/Chartplotter instead. My budget is around $500 and for that it would appear a Garmin GPSMAP 440s or 441s would fit that budget. My questions are:

1. Should I just get a hand held, be happy and keep using my old fishfinder?

2. If I buy a combo unit, the existing transducer from my 160 Blue will work (according

to Garmin). Is this a good idea or should I spring for a new transducer?

3. What is the difference between the 440s and 441s?

4. You can get a $200 rebate by buying the Garmin g2 Vision card. Is this a smart buy?

(I fish inshore only so don't know if this is worth it or not)

I am sorry for all of the questions but, I do not know much about these things (trying to learn) and I don't want to buy something and then find out I made a bad purchase. I am taking my boat to the Keys this Summer so I really want a decent chartplotter as the waters are unfamiliar to me.

Thanks for all input.

I have a Garmin 440S with the G2 card [same rebate deal which is why I did it]. This replaced a Garmin 72 handheld and Garmin 120 fishfinder, then I replaced the 72 with a Lowrance H2Oc color handheld. I found the handheld screens too small and not really bright enough to use on a moving boat in daytime -- plus none really seem to have enough marine chartplotter features. I would not go back to the separate units unless you would use the handheld a lot for other things.

The G2 card covering the Keys seems to be very accurate. Much of the other stuff it has is largely "fluff" [photo's, marina/restaurant/services info, etc.] for most people who are not cruisers. Looks like the only things the 441s has different from the 440s is more waypoints/routes and NMEA 2000 support. For your purposes the transducer change isn't necessary unless you want dual-frequency and temperature [if your current one doesn't have these].

CudjoeDon

I would not buy a combo unit, especiallly a bottom machine GPS. If you bottom fish you need to use them both at the same time. Watching for spots while you navigate, trying to hold over a spot ect. If you used the split screan you end up with less screen than the handheld. How many TVs with the built in VCR (that worked for 6 months) are still around?

1bandit, normally I agree with the separate units -- but this is a 17' skiff. Not likely that there will be trolling spreaders over secret waypoints, etc. Even with the split screen, the screen is a little bigger, more importantly, it's brighter and the controls can be used while moving compared to a handheld. I find I rarely need both on screen at the same time -- chartplotter while going to a spot, then sounder when there. No problem if he has the space for a separate chartplotter-only, still better than a handheld unit.

CudjoeDon