Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailer Tires

I second the vote on the compressor importance for tire life. I have hose that rolls out to the street so I cover my two trailers and those of my four neighbors. But it is all the local kids on the street that I get a chuckle out of....all summer long it is, "Mr. T will you fill up my bicycle tires please?". Teach them early about the importance of tire pressure and it will be a great lesson learned. MDT

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been running Marathons for 2 seasons now without issue. I am ###### about maintenance and the bearings and tire pressures get inspected before each trip. Air pressures always adjusted prior to leaving while tires are bone cold as the temperature in the tires will rise significantly while trailering so you have to check and adjust while they are cold! On my trailer the max inflation pressure is 50 psi. if you check the tires when they are warm and they read 50 psi. then they are under inflated and if you adjust pressures at that point you won't get the right value when the tires cool.

I run 4 trailers with a total of 18 tires an average of 6,000 to 10,000 miles a year. I have always used Marathons until 2 years ago. I had 3 of 4 NEW Marathons disintergrate at differnt times during a 1800 mile trip with my 2 axel car hauler. I'm a fanatic about checking my tires and bearings every time I make a stop . After getting back from my trip I took off the remaining Marathon for inspecting and found that it had broken cords in 2 places. Futher inspection showed that the tire was made in China. On my other trailers the Marathons were made in New Zealand. During that trip I replaced all the failed tires at Discount Tires with a brand called Green Dot and they seem to be holding up well after 2 years. I have a 3 axel enclosed car hauler that is 5 years old and is next in line for tire replacement. They will not be Goodyear Marathons!!

Mr D, what size are the tires on your new horse trailer and what size is the trailer? Does it have living quarters? We have a Featherlite 2 horse trailer and I need to start looking for tires soon. I too am a believer in going up in load range. We pull horses w/a small 24' motorhome (camping all over Florida) and keep beefy tires (expensive) on that too. Having a flat with the boat is bad enough, having one with horses in the trailer could be tough. I watch the air and check bearing temp regularly and been lucky so far. Did have a bearing failure a couple months ago on 75 while bringing a just bought heavy 25 Pursuit home on a loaner trailer. Heading north on 75 to Venice I knew I was in trouble when one of the trailer tires/wheel passed me on the right and bounced into the bushes. This is another story.

I've had no trailer tire issues since I went to Denmans on my boat trailer and fifth wheel. I have had blow outs with marathons and the cheap china tires the fifth wheel manufactures use and will not back up.

Its always a good idea to up to the next weight range on tires, the cost is peanuts compared with the difference in quality on a trailer tire. :1992_beer_cheer:

Mr D, what size are the tires on your new horse trailer and what size is the trailer? Does it have living quarters? We have a Featherlite 2 horse trailer and I need to start looking for tires soon. I too am a believer in going up in load range. We pull horses w/a small 24' motorhome (camping all over Florida) and keep beefy tires (expensive) on that too. Having a flat with the boat is bad enough, having one with horses in the trailer could be tough. I watch the air and check bearing temp regularly and been lucky so far. Did have a bearing failure a couple months ago on 75 while bringing a just bought heavy 25 Pursuit home on a loaner trailer. Heading north on 75 to Venice I knew I was in trouble when one of the trailer tires/wheel passed me on the right and bounced into the bushes. This is another story.

The trailer is a new 3 horse slant load Sundowner. No living quarters, just the dressing room. Its pretty light being aluminum with a steel frame. The tires are 15" Maxxis but I dont know the specs off hand. I will be hooking it up later today and try and report back. When we were in Ocala looking at trailers I noticed many of the huge (one we looked at had a $1million price tag) were running Uniroyal E rated truck tires.

One problem I have with the boat is that I have 14" wheels but I may not have room for 15". Its pretty close. The only D rated 14" tires I can find are Carlisles and the Khumo's from tire rack.

• 3 weeks later...

Goodyear Marathon service.

Recently had a valve stem go bad. Looked hard at the tires and saw weather cracking on the side wall. Not terrible but definitely there. Looked at warranty...covered up to 4 years for weather cracking. Bought trailer just under 4 years ago.

Took to local dealer....all five tires getting replaced (prorated for tread depth which they still have most tread left).