Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Cant Get On A Plane

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best option is to clean it up and run it as is. Don't bother putting in a different engine because the gearing in the out drive is set up for the 4 cylinder and a bigger engine won't do much except burn more gas.

Just use this boat as a stepping stone toward a vessel that is more in line with your needs. Sell it to someone looking for a safe family boat that won't scare the kids.

Your best option is to clean it up and run it as is. Don't bother putting in a different engine because the gearing in the out drive is set up for the 4 cylinder and a bigger engine won't do much except burn more gas.

Just use this boat as a stepping stone toward a vessel that is more in line with your needs. Sell it to someone looking for a safe family boat that won't scare the kids.

i agree 100% well said sir...

i use to have a 1989 21' four winns, i was constantly throwing money at the engine and sterndrive... had lots of fun on the boat, but it certainly wasnt worth half what i put into it... at the end of the day, i realized what kind of boat i really wanted (center console) and what kind of power i wanted..(outboard not gas i/o)

i say, send everyone up to the bow, run that 4 banger to the pins and have fun...

Never got on plane ? it may have to work at it but never ? thats a nice and useless reply

Not as nice or useless as your reply. I didn't see any constructive advice in that :504_shrugging: I've worked on many of these boats. 115 hp brand new, 22 foot boat, nope it won't plane with more than 2 people in it and they better both be on the bow. Just pointing out that it is seriously underpowered, even when new, and not to expect too much.

Wow the pictures of that engine bring back memories. My father bought a 19 foot Bayliner bowrider brand new in 1982, I was 8 years old.

At the time is was a nice boat for the money, it had the same exact engine and drive as that boat. With that power plant the boat actually moved pretty good even with the entire family on board. If I had to guess I would say the boat hit 30 MPH light and 25 ish with a few people.

I know this boat is bigger and heavier then the one my dad had but it can't be by much. I would think the engine should get the boat up on plane and run at a decent clip, considering the power it has.

A problem my dads boat always had was moisture in the distributor cap. He had to take it off and dry it out constantly. When it was wet it would lose power or not start at all. Aside from that the engine ran flawlessly for 10 years and then a rod came through the block.

If I were you I would first make sure you're burning fresh gas. Get any old gas out and start fresh. Then look at the timing and distributor cap. Make sure its dry inside and no cracks in the cap itself.

Ok, the marina called, so far they have found a bent neeedle valve in the carb that is flooding the carb with too much fuel. Also they are installing a fuel water seperater, Ethenol fuel causes water to form over time because boats dont have sealed fuel systems like cars do, thus causing water to form from the Ethenol in street fuel. I will keep you posted as they find more, hopefully there is no more. Needle valve should be in tomorrow. :1946_headbanging:

Edited by tmbarnes77