Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

engine hard starting question

not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not.

Last season my boat would catch on the first turn of the key. Boat had a Yamaha 150 2cycle on it.

256hrs on it now. tuned up last may with 212 hrs on it. Full tune up, waterpump etc.

This winter it was not great boating so it spent most of its time on the lift. Had about 1/2 tank of gas in it.

I changed the fuel/water filter. Put in 90 octane no ethanol gas and some ring seat and some gas additive.

She still cranks over hard. Once warmed up she runs fine and cranks fine.

Any thoughts?

I am no expert but if you have a primer bulb, have you tried pumping it a few times before starting?

I have a 10 year old Yamaha Saltwater Series 225 (ox66) with over 850 hours... Last week went to start the boat after storing it all winter, primed it and fired off within 2 seconds. Check the gasket on your fuel/water separator, it could be air in the lines somewhere and it takes a bit to clear the air in the lines and create vacuum. Again, these are just guesses.

Hope this helps and let us know what you find.

PD

Try new plugs and what is your starting technique? If there is a primer/choke solenoid have you confirmed that is operational? Have you charged and load tested your starting battery, and made sure all battery cable connections at both ends and engine grounds are clean & tight for strongest cranking? Is this in FL?