Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

cat hull VS deep V

They are no more fuel efficient than a v hull of equall size and power.

It's gets interesting when one starts comparing just what is "equal" size when comparing the two. Equal size? but based on what criteria, length? weight? physical looking size? or ??

length i'm assuming, obv beam and deck space will always be a little bigger on the cat tho..

does anyone have any downsides of a cat??? besides the "it turns funny" thing i hear about..

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Some cats are more efficient than some V hulls for the same LOA. I went from a 26 HS that would get at best 1.3- 1.4 mpg, to a 27 planing cat, that gets about 2.3mpg. I prefer cats...........no more monos for me. So, I'd say it depends on the cat and the particular mono youre talking about.

I think my list for 33 cats would include the WC, Freeman, Ren Prowler and Ameracat. I'd want to seatrial all 4, then make a choice. You could probably pick up a used 33WC, whereas with the others it would be new. The ameracat costs alot less, but has a rough interior, if that matters to you. The others have a finer finish inside if that's your thing. Ride them all and make a well informed decison. Just for kicks, take a spin on a 36 yellowfin and compare, see what you like best. Good luck

Edited by ReelBoater

does anyone have any downsides of a cat??? besides the "it turns funny" thing i hear about..

Some cats do turn flat, but others turn like a mono and lean.

The Mckee 23 and the contender 23T are two of the most efficient monos that I have seen. Like Renegade says, try both cats and monos, so you'll know for yourself

Edited by ReelBoater

Some cats are more efficient than some V hulls for the same LOA. I went from a 26 HS that would get at best 1.3- 1.4 mpg, to a 27 planing cat, that gets about 2.3mpg. I prefer cats...........no more monos for me. So, I'd say it depends on the cat and the particular mono youre talking about.

I think my list for 33 cats would include the WC, Freeman, Ren Prowler and Ameracat. I'd want to seatrial all 4, then make a choice. You could probably pick up a used 33WC, whereas with the others it would be new. The ameracat costs alot less, but has a rough interior, if that matters to you. The others have a finer finish inside if that's your thing. Ride them all and make a well informed decison. Just for kicks, take a spin on a 36 yellowfin and compare, see what you like best. Good luck

have been on a WC many years ago..it was ok..was just on a 27 and 33 AC..impressed, ride was awesome. Stayed nuetral with a slight lean into the turns..very much like a mono. Fisherman finish was ok, price was extremely fair....a lot of value..The Freeman is like jewelery and dont know a thing on the Renn..

Edited by Jassman

have been on a WC many years ago..it was ok..was just on a 27 and 33 AC..impressed, ride was awesome. Stayed nuetral with a slight lean into the turns..very much like a mono. Fisherman finish was ok, price was extremely fair....a lot of value..The Freeman is like jewelery and dont know a thing on the Renn..