Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Are Kit Boats a good Idea

Kit boats save $10,000 to $20,000   

11 members have voted

1. 1. Assemble your own boat or buy done?

• Order boat complete
    • Buy Kit and assemble your way

post-7684-126846229695_thumb.jpg

If AmeraCat offered a kit which would offer the hull, console, fuel tank, and leaning post at a discounted price would you op to save the money or, order a boat ready to fish. Just looking for feedback at this point. Thanks for your time

Scott

AmeraCat, Inc.

Edited by AmeraCat

post-7684-126846229695_thumb.jpg

If AmeraCat offered a kit which would offer the hull, console, fuel tank, and leaning post at a discounted price would you op to save the money or, order a boat ready to fish. Just looking for feedback at this point. Thanks for your time

Scott

AmeraCat, Inc.

Scott,

To be honest with you? In this market, especially at the end where you have a buyer who doesn't want to spend as much he would have before, and is willing to do a lot of the work himself, hell yes it's a good idea!

Install/wire/plumb the components in the hull that have to be done before she's decked, install your t/hulls, garboard drain, livewell p/u,, install the deck hardware that needs to be t/bolted, in other words, all the stuff that NEEDS to be done before the boat's decked.

Then ship everything else loose with the boat, mark the deck where all the rest of the hardware goes, and let the owner finish it off. Sort of like the old Jim Walter homes.

Just make sure there is a contract that states...well, you guys already thought about that...

Something to ponder from any builder (look under my avatar...)

BTW, might want to use IMG code on that pic, look what happened when I quoted you...

Edited by 250 Osprey

I know of another Co. that has sold hull only and the warranty work can turn into a ball of worms IF it is needed. The boat basically becomes a HOME BUILT because certified people did not install all components . Tough call for some.

I would go for the Kit .

Thanks for all the feedback, We have decided to make our 27 model available in kit form starting at $21,900. Pricing will be up on our website very soon. Thanks again as I enjoy getting my customers opinion.

Scott,

Just what will be included, hardware wise, in "kit" form?

Thanks for all the feedback, We have decided to make our 27 model available in kit form starting at $21,900. Pricing will be up on our website very soon. Thanks again as I enjoy getting my customers opinion.

Scott,

Just what will be included, hardware wise, in "kit" form?

After I spent the full amount now comes the kit..lol Its a good idea. I have seen in the construction business people doing allot of things themselves.When they do it them selfs they will have a better comprehension of the product. Its another strategic avenue you can explore.You could make a few dollers completing a few that the customer just gives up on also.