Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailer Bunks

For the guys who trailer their boats to and from the water, I got a question about trailer bunks? Obviously, saltwater being as corrosive as it it...how often do you guys have to change out old bunks for new ones? Or is it cheaper in the long run to install roller bunks?

I replaced my 2x10x8 bunks last year (they were 7 years old) and I only replaced the bunks themselves because I was replacing the carpet. The bunks were actually okay, just thought since I was doing it, I'd put new wood on as well. Replaced the bunk supports, hubs, springs, etc.. Trailer is practically new now. Never had roller bunks but they just somehow don't seem right for fiberglass plus it would seem you would have more to maintain.

My experience is bunks are better. 21' older Mako CC ( heavy ) It was tough to drive it back on the trailer. I tried some of the spray-on bunk carpet silicon lube. It Works great! You better not untie her until you are in the water. Slicker than owl S***.

Well...thanks guys for all the great information and responses. I was under the impression that the wood bunks would only last for 3 maybe 4 seasons after being dipped in saltwater 100+ times a summer! Once again, thanks guys...

The key to your wood bunks life span is to NOT carpet them on all 4 sides , Just do the top and sides , leave the bottom so they can dry out.

Reelplumber, are your short pieces for sale, someone here might need them.

And if your using a ALLOY hull , DO NOT use pressure treated lumber, use raw wood and carpet 3 sides.

For the guys who trailer their boats to and from the water, I got a question about trailer bunks? Obviously, saltwater being as corrosive as it it...how often do you guys have to change out old bunks for new ones? Or is it cheaper in the long run to install roller bunks?

You're worried about corrosion on WOOD but suggest roller bunks? That makes ZERO sense.

Saltwater doesn't corrode wood.

Edited by A Few Dollars