Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Contender

As usual, a "bashing" thread on THT has taken on a life of it's own. Now granted, the President/owner/whatever of Contender certainly did no favors for his company nor the Contender community. However, the fact, and it is a fact, remains that Contender makes an excellent boat, and will continue to do so. I'm sure for every disgruntled Contender owner out there, there are thousands who love their Contenders and, in many cases, wouldn't buy anything else but Contender.

Having been at the OEM level for so long, there are certain aspects of the business that most don't see unless they are in it. One of those aspects is the tremendous egos of those who own/run boat building companies. Look at Reggie, look at Bob Dougherty (spelling)just to name a couple. Combine those egos with egos of many well-heeled buyers and a lot of interesting fireworks can happen. Secondly, every boat builder does what we call "warranty replacement" boats, usually under the radar, usually at great cost to the builder, and usually listed under "Goodwill" on the monthly warranty cost reports. It is typically in the builders best interest to perform these replacements as the reputation of the builder can be quickly tarnished by a zealous owner who thinks he has been wronged, especially with the advent of forums like this one (which, thank god doesn't seem to stoop to that level)and THT. To be able to get a "gripe" out there for all the world to see so quickly and so wide-spread is something that simply wasn't available not that long ago. Builders are becoming more and more aware of this and in most cases are reacting to the potential damage a thread like the Contender thread can pose, but sometimes the reaction and explanations are either not quick enough in coming to stem the tide, or the ego of someone got is the way of making a good, sound business decision.

When I was at Hydra-Sports (back when it was still at the old Sunbird plant in Columbia, SC), I was building the 3000 Vector. The first 7 boats I built were warranty replacement boats for owners of Stratos 3300s where the transom cracks in the splashwells were so big you could almost slide your whole hand through them. Nothing was ever heard of these replacements, it was simply done as a cost of doing business, and everyone came out happy. Imagine that scenario in today's world of instant access and forums that allowed the type of bashing we see.

So it's been going on a long time, and the Contender issue does not surprise me at all. But it certainly could have been handled A LOT better than it was...

JMHO

As usual, a "bashing" thread on THT has taken on a life of it's own. Now granted, the President/owner/whatever of Contender certainly did no favors for his company nor the Contender community. However, the fact, and it is a fact, remains that Contender makes an excellent boat, and will continue to do so. I'm sure for every disgruntled Contender owner out there, there are thousands who love their Contenders and, in many cases, wouldn't buy anything else but Contender.

Having been at the OEM level for so long, there are certain aspects of the business that most don't see unless they are in it. One of those aspects is the tremendous egos of those who own/run boat building companies. Look at Reggie, look at Bob Dougherty (spelling)just to name a couple. Combine those egos with egos of many well-heeled buyers and a lot of interesting fireworks can happen. Secondly, every boat builder does what we call "warranty replacement" boats, usually under the radar, usually at great cost to the builder, and usually listed under "Goodwill" on the monthly warranty cost reports. It is typically in the builders best interest to perform these replacements as the reputation of the builder can be quickly tarnished by a zealous owner who thinks he has been wronged, especially with the advent of forums like this one (which, thank god doesn't seem to stoop to that level)and THT. To be able to get a "gripe" out there for all the world to see so quickly and so wide-spread is something that simply wasn't available not that long ago. Builders are becoming more and more aware of this and in most cases are reacting to the potential damage a thread like the Contender thread can pose, but sometimes the reaction and explanations are either not quick enough in coming to stem the tide, or the ego of someone got is the way of making a good, sound business decision.

When I was at Hydra-Sports (back when it was still at the old Sunbird plant in Columbia, SC), I was building the 3000 Vector. The first 7 boats I built were warranty replacement boats for owners of Stratos 3300s where the transom cracks in the splashwells were so big you could almost slide your whole hand through them. Nothing was ever heard of these replacements, it was simply done as a cost of doing business, and everyone came out happy. Imagine that scenario in today's world of instant access and forums that allowed the type of bashing we see.

So it's been going on a long time, and the Contender issue does not surprise me at all. But it certainly could have been handled A LOT better than it was...

JMHO

Well said. Can you imagine what we might have gone through on stringer issues alone in the old days? Every builder has has issues at one time or another; what makes the difference is how both the dealer and the builder go about handling the issues. In the case on tht and elsewhere it appears communications broke down early on and went worse from there. It's too bad that things weren't handled better from the beginning. Now it seems to be out of control and has developed a life of its own online. Not good for either party.

Still amazing how people & companies don't realize the power and consequences of the internet and how to correctly address these type issues.

Perhaps I should teach a class?

Wiley, you may be able to teach a class on the impact of the internet...but you can't teach stupid! :1121_wink: