Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

GPS signal on a plane?

I don't have any problem with my Garmin handheld (iQue 3600) right next to a window - only problem I have is the attendants telling me to turn it off "please". The GPS must have a clear view of the sky. There are lists of airlines that allow GPS but I guess the attendants never read the list because I've always been asked to turn it off.

I use my Nuvi on airplanes all the time.

If you're flying east to west, you'll want a window seat on the left side of the plane; west to east, you want the right side.

GPS signals are relatively weak, it doesn't take much to block or degrade them.

Edited by dsp

Here's the yes/no airline list from 2009. Note that there may be exceptions made by pilots/crews on both sides of the list. http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

It certainly is interesting to see info on altitude and speed, what you are flying over and what estimated time of arrival could be.

Edited by Little Katuna

• 2 weeks later...

ok, maybe a dumb question, but i just dont get this. why can't i get a signal on my handheld when im flying? sometimes i do, sometimes nothing, not even 1 sat. the construction of the plane i guess, which of course confuses me why sometimes fine and sometimes no signal? :504_shrugging:

What'ya using the old VOR?