Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

ProMariner - New to Reel Boating

Hello All,

My name is Jim Mitchell from ProMariner the Marine Battery Charger company.

At any rate, I wanted to extend my hand and offer help regarding wiring, chargers, inverters, galvanic isolators and anywhere I can be of help.

I have been in the Marine Industry for over 12 years and boated since I can remember.

At any rate I monitor other forums as well so if you are looking for an immediate response please email me or call my direct line below.

Happy Boating!

Jim

ProMariner

Jim Mitchell

Manager, Technical Services Group

jmitchell@pmariner.com

603-766-7603

www.promariner.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jim,

I do have a question. i have a boat with 4 battery. i just added a promarine 4 bank battery charger. there is no marking on the batteries that say engine. should i just connect the charger to all 4 batteries?

Great question.

The reason we label the charger lead Engine is that it is the last to be sensed.

If it were the first to be sensed it could cause the charger to cut back its charge early.

I guess to answer your question the simply way is yes you can just connect all four leads up to a respective battery but ideally I would like to see the lead marked engine connect to an engine starting battery.

Give me a call if you have any other questions.

Direct Line 603-766-7603 or email jmitchell@pmariner.com

Jim-

Thanks for putting yourself out there!

Two questions...

Do ProMariner chargers have a battery size (amp hours) limit? One of your competators do...

Second q'n-- Why would you buy the ProTournament 300 Quad over the ProSport 20 Plus Gen 2--both four bank..

Edited by Aluminum Clone

Jim-

Thanks for putting yourself out there!

Two questions...

Do ProMariner chargers have a battery size (amp hours) limit? One of your competators do...

Second q'n-- Why would you buy the ProTournament 300 Quad over the ProSport 20 Plus Gen 2--both four bank..

Twisted Pair,

The ProSport 20+ is only a 3 bank charger designed to charge 3 batteries.

The ProTournament 300 quad is designed to charge 4 batteries.

The biggest difference is the amperage 20 on the ProSport and 30 on the ProTournament.

As for battery size we recommend no larger then group 31's on both chargers. If the batteries are larger then that they should use a dry compartment charger which will be able to charge the batteries better.

If you can give me more details about the application I can provide the recommend battery charger.

If we are talking about your seaswirl 26 I would like to know; do you have shore power on board? This would put you in to a dry compartment charger becuase they are designed to serve as a power supply.

Jim

Edited by ProMariner

oops.

Thanks for catching that Jim.

Lets try this again...

Yes it's the Seaswirl 2600.

Here's what I have. The boat will be a show boat and a hard core offshore boat. I will have some 30K worth of electronics and will likely be powered up by 110v through your charger--one of them. I would suspect some 20-30amps (maybe 30) continuous while at the dock.. There are 4 batt's. All 4 are Blue Top AGM's. One bat for each OB Honda BF150. Two for house through a modified BEP717 cluster with dual VSR's. Rather than a simple single batt switch for "house", I changed to a 1+2 or both switch. I need independant charging of each of the four batts. Likely underway, each VSR will be charging one of the house batts. (of course that will depend on the switch setting)

I am getting creative and am adding a 110 panel in a water resistant enclosure. I don't plan on watering my boat below the throttle area where the panel will go..

As far as a dry compartment, well, that may only be possible if I add things behind the gunnel. That may be a bad idea..So, that's why It figured it should be waterproof. Striper's aren't really waterproof..Ha Ha But If I DID mount inside a difficult place to get to, then I would def need a status monitor...worth a look!

Now that I decided a 4 bank charger, which one do you reccommend? Waterproof or non-waterproof?

The panel below is the 12v BEP cluster--with a diff "house sw"

post-390-126635942892_thumb.jpg

Edited by Twisted Pair

oops.

Thanks for catching that Jim.

Lets try this again...

Yes it's the Seaswirl 2600.

Here's what I have. The boat will be a show boat and a hard core offshore boat. I will have some 30K worth of electronics and will likely be powered up by 110v through your charger--one of them. I would suspect some 20-30amps (maybe 30) continuous while at the dock.. There are 4 batt's. All 4 are Blue Top AGM's. One bat for each OB Honda BF150. Two for house through a modified BEP717 cluster with dual VSR's. Rather than a simple single batt switch for "house", I changed to a 1+2 or both switch. I need independant charging of each of the four batts. Likely underway, each VSR will be charging one of the house batts. (of course that will depend on the switch setting)

I am getting creative and am adding a 110 panel in a water resistant enclosure. I don't plan on watering my boat below the throttle area where the panel will go..

As far as a dry compartment, well, that may only be possible if I add things behind the gunnel. That may be a bad idea..So, that's why It figured it should be waterproof. Striper's aren't really waterproof..Ha Ha But If I DID mount inside a difficult place to get to, then I would def need a status monitor...worth a look!

Now that I decided a 4 bank charger, which one do you reccommend? Waterproof or non-waterproof?

The panel below is the 12v BEP cluster--with a diff "house sw"

Twisted Pair,

The ideal charger due to the 110vac is a dry compartment charger.

I would prefer to use a 1240 either ProTech-i or ProNautic depending on the space requirements the concern is that they are only 3 bank chargers.

Both can be seen on our website www.promariner.com.

That said, if you have to have 4 banks the only option is a ProTournament 300 quad.

30 amps should do the job but 40 would be prefered as Optima batteries are AGM absorbed glass mat and they like a lot of current.

Let me know if you have any further questions and as always give me a call if you have questions.

Jim

Jim--

Thank you for all your help over the phone.

Made a decision...I went ahead and ordered a ProNautic 1240. Even though it is only a 3-bank charger. I decided to change the "house" switch back to a single battery output and put the two house batteries in parallel. The charger will be mounted in the driest location I have left. I will remove the drivers side panel and 5200 a 3/4" marine plywood to the outter bulkhead and mount the charger on it. It will likely be a fairly dry install--at least there will be zero water anyway. Humidity at worst. :605_thumbs_up:

I will be posting pics as the process goes forward.

Edited by Twisted Pair