Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

ProMariner - New to Reel Boating

Jim--

Thank you for all your help over the phone.

Made a decision...I went ahead and ordered a ProNautic 1240. Even though it is only a 3-bank charger. I decided to change the "house" switch back to a single battery output and put the two house batteries in parallel. The charger will be mounted in the driest location I have left. I will remove the drivers side panel and 5200 a 3/4" marine plywood to the outter bulkhead and mount the charger on it. It will likely be a fairly dry install--at least there will be zero water anyway. Humidity at worst. :605_thumbs_up:

I will be posting pics as the process goes forward.

Great!

Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Happy Boating!

P.S Get some sleep :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim

I have been using a Pro sport 20 with no problems , I notice you said 31 series was the limit, I am using D4 batteries the amp rating is about the same as the 31 but is much large in size , Is this a problem ?

Thank you

Prowlersfish,

If your boat is the one shown in your icon photo it is not what we would recommend for the application.

Typically if your boat has an AC distibution system we would automatically recommend a dry compartment charger there are a few reasons for this but the most relavant are the following.

1) Dry compartment chargers are designed to serve as a power supply maintaining house loads while charging.

2) Dry compartment chargers will allow you to charge batteries of difference capacities without creating an imbalance.

I hope this is the only battery this charger is charging. We like to use this for a rule of thumb (Total Amp Hour Capacity of the batteries being charged X 10% = Amp battery charger you should be using. For Example (4) group 31 batteries 125 amp hours each = 500 Amp Hours worth of batteries x 10% = 50 Amp battery charger.

Let me know if you have any questions I would be happy to address.

Jim

Edited by ProMariner

Hello,

I have an '07 Seaswirl 2901 with twin Yamaha F250s. It has a Protech 1230 (part #61230) charging 2 Interstate group 27 Starting Batts(27M-XHD) and 1 Interstate group 27 Deep Cycle(SRM-27), powered through 30A shore power. I'm purchasing 3 Deka group 31 AGMs (8A31DTM) to replace the 3 flooded batteries. Do you anticipate any problems or issues with this plan? Will I need a 40 or 50A charger?

Thanks very much for your help!

Hello,

I have an '07 Seaswirl 2901 with twin Yamaha F250s. It has a Protech 1230 (part #61230) charging 2 Interstate group 27 Starting Batts(27M-XHD) and 1 Interstate group 27 Deep Cycle(SRM-27), powered through 30A shore power. I'm purchasing 3 Deka group 31 AGMs (8A31DTM) to replace the 3 flooded batteries. Do you anticipate any problems or issues with this plan? Will I need a 40 or 50A charger?

Thanks for the note.

There is no issue with the AGM configuration you want to run.

I would recommend the 4 hour absorption period.

As for a larger amperage charger that would be ideal but the cost is something to consider.

The choice is yours and I would be happy to provide you pricing if you like.

Give me a call with any further questions or email.

Jim

Hello,

Thanks for the note.

As for a larger amperage charger that would be ideal but the cost is something to consider.

Jim

Thank you very much for the quick reply! Which model charger would you consider best for my set up?

All the best!

Hello,

Thanks for the note.

Jim

Thank you very much for the quick reply! Which model charger would you consider best for my set up?

All the best!

Well if things were free a ProNautic 1260 as the batteries love a lot of current but they retail for $779.99.

Personally I would go with a ProNautic 1250 and can give you a good price on one just email me.

Jim