Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

WOW! Yacht Fire in Port Everglades - Pictures

Can a boat with this damage be fixed? Just curious, I mean it still floats!!

David

It can be rebuilt but no insurance company would do it as it would cost waaaaayyy more than another similar or even much newer boat of the same brand and size.

Sadly whats left of this boat will sit in a marina on blocks until the insurance company decides what to do with it. Most likely will be auctioned off for pennies and whoever buys it will pick through remains for anything salvageable. If there was no insurance the owner will have to dispose of it properly or pay to store it.

I suppose it can be gutted and someone can turn it into a big center console and slap 3 or 4 outboards on it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a boat with this damage be fixed? Just curious, I mean it still floats!!

David

It can be rebuilt but no insurance company would do it as it would cost waaaaayyy more than another similar or even much newer boat of the same brand and size.

Sadly whats left of this boat will sit in a marina on blocks until the insurance company decides what to do with it. Most likely will be auctioned off for pennies and whoever buys it will pick through remains for anything salvageable. If there was no insurance the owner will have to dispose of it properly or pay to store it.

I suppose it can be gutted and someone can turn it into a big center console and slap 3 or 4 outboards on it.

I was quite sure that no insurance company would even attempt a rebuild, it would just be totaled and sold practically for scrap....

But would it be worth while to buy this boat for pennies on the dollar for a rebuild? Mainly what I am asking is if the hull is worth even attempting a project like this?

I guess it mainly depends on the extent of the damage, but since it floated for several days I guess it may be doable. I would love to see a project like this from start to finish!!! Maybe the original owner will buy it back and restore it (if cost effective).

I enjoy learning about boating, and projects!

David

I'm not one to second guess this situation, but I have my own thoughts. First, for what I understand to be one of the busiest waterways in the country, the fire boats seem unusually undersized and not up to the task. Second, a $500 Sea Fire would likely have saved this before it became the roaring conflagration. Third, you don't sea trial without someone eyeballing the engines. How ever this got to where it did has to be laid at the feet of someone.

Third, you don't sea trial without someone eyeballing the engines.

...Well, I wasn't going to say anything, due to the timing and such, but that was my first thought. Bill is absolutely correct, who was down in the engine room, scoping out everything as she was put through her paces?

When I was at Wellcraft, every inboard (Martiniques, 33 Coastals) had a man assigned to the engine room on seatrials. Not fun in the summer, GREAT in the winter.

The mishap could have been averted, had proper dilligence been paid...

I'm not one to second guess this situation, but I have my own thoughts. First, for what I understand to be one of the busiest waterways in the country, the fire boats seem unusually undersized and not up to the task. Second, a $500 Sea Fire would likely have saved this before it became the roaring conflagration. Third, you don't sea trial without someone eyeballing the engines. How ever this got to where it did has to be laid at the feet of someone.

I would have to disagree, this fire boat that was on scene is HUGE:

IMG_5544.JPG

• 2 weeks later...