Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

COLD

4/0

Yea it's cold at the coast too. This is going to hurt the specks really bad. I heard that some guy's farther up dip netted close to 800 lbs. ( had their comm. License). really sad part is some of those fish were 10 lb. + , thats losing good brood stock there.

Butch

Yea it's cold at the coast too. This is going to hurt the specks really bad. I heard that some guy's farther up dip netted close to 800 lbs. ( had their comm. License). really sad part is some of those fish were 10 lb. + , thats losing good brood stock there.

Butch

Man I hate to hear that.We on the Gulf hope with the cold days berfore help move the trout out we will see

You where right Hate to hear this http://carolinacoastonline.com/articles/2010/01/08/news-times/sports/doc4b477055bf48b776271113.prt the worst reports from the trout kill were from the North River, Wards Creek, Jarrett Bay and Smyrna Creek. All of these areas are notoriously shallow with only a few deep holes for fish to escape the cold. The reports are that more than 4,000 pounds of stunned or dead keeper trout were dipped by fishermen, and more undersize ones were left floating or to wash up on the banks. Large numbers of small (8 to 10 inches) black drum also fell victim to the cold, as did some croakers, a few red drum and a few menhaden.

You where right Hate to hear this http://carolinacoast...8b776271113.prt the worst reports from the trout kill were from the North River, Wards Creek, Jarrett Bay and Smyrna Creek. All of these areas are notoriously shallow with only a few deep holes for fish to escape the cold. The reports are that more than 4,000 pounds of stunned or dead keeper trout were dipped by fishermen, and more undersize ones were left floating or to wash up on the banks. Large numbers of small (8 to 10 inches) black drum also fell victim to the cold, as did some croakers, a few red drum and a few menhaden.

Tim,

Yes it's bad, 5.9 here at 4:30 this morning at least it will be a little warmer at the coast. I don't really know but I guess a 10 lb. speck would be 5 years old ? Heck even it is

only 4 years that is a long time for things to recover. Hurts the guides too because their customers like it when they can put them on 8 lb. plus fish. They say it will start

warming by Monday but a lot of damage has already been done.

Butch

As far as I know nobody has seen any dead trout here in Charleston,SC. Its the subject in the tackle shops. Every body has there fingers crossed.

Tonight and tomorrow night (23-22 degrees) is gonna be the two bad days as far as the temp goes. The harbor is 46-45 degrees right now.

The bright sunny days we have on the way will help.................

I feel for you this is what Texas says Texas Parks & Wildlife Department biologist Lance Robinson said the chance is there but a kill on the level of those catastrophic events that killed upwards of 10 million fish apiece is not likely.

“I suspect there could be some localized fish kills in some back marshes with the onset of this winter front. However, since it's already been pretty cool leading up to this latest front this should have already started to move fish toward deeper water where temperatures are more moderate,” Robinson said.

“The biggest problem with cold kills is the speed in which the temperatures drop fast, and fish become cold stunned and can't move ahead of it. Their proximity to deep water also plays a role. If fish are a long ways from a ship channel they can get caught with a fast approaching cold front,” he added.

Robinson said for speckled trout, water below 45 degree becomes lethal while redfish are hardier and can take temperatures down to the mid 30s. Flounder (most of which are in the Gulf right now) can handle waters down to the lower 40s.

“In addition to killing game fish in shallow bay waters, a hard freeze can also cause surviving fish to congregate in a few deeper areas where they become sluggish or "cold stunned" and prone to capture,” Robinson said.

The high mortality that a freeze can cause may deplete fish stocks for years so the protection of surviving fish during the few days when they are most vulnerable to capture is very important.

“This is why the TPWD Commission granted authority to the Executive Director in 2004 to close affected areas until the freeze event is over. We will be monitoring weather

forecasts and water temperatures along the Texas coast for the next few days in case such an action is warranted,” Robinson said.