Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Is my eng height a little high? No cavitation though?

I have a 30 in setback flotation bracket with a yamaha v6 on an old 233 formula. I have the cavitation plate about a 1 3/4 inches higher than normal and I have to trim out pretty far to break the prop loose? Can I loose water pickup without cavitation? My older 2 stroke 250 engs had a little overheat at high speed. I thought it was just getting old but what if its loosing water pickup? I have read where the flats boat guys tha run in skinny water have special low water pickups? I now have aF225 and I dont want to hurt it?

Put a water pressure guage on your engine.

You should have one anyways.

When you say 1 3/4 inches higher then normal. whats "normal"

With that much setback, the cavitation/ventilation plates should be roughly 2 1/2 to 3 inches above the hull anyways.

You might have your engines too low still.

At a fast cruise speed, trimmed however the boat likes to be normally, can you see the cavitation plate?

Low

toolow1.jpg

Correct

correctheight21-1.jpg

Put a water pressure guage on your engine.

You should have one anyways.

When you say 1 3/4 inches higher then normal. whats "normal"

With that much setback, the cavitation/ventilation plates should be roughly 2 1/2 to 3 inches above the hull anyways.

You might have your engines too low still.

At a fast cruise speed, trimmed however the boat likes to be normally, can you see the cavitation plate?

Low

toolow1.jpg

Correct

correctheight21-1.jpg

Thanks ken 2 I think after seeing your pictures Im ok with height. Im almost like your second picture. I think maybee it was just my wore out 90 psi compression engine last year that didnt want to run wide open very long?

Good deal. I'd still get a water pressure guage though.

We've caught problems (early) with poppet valves, debris over the intakes, etc.. by having a water pressure gauge. If we didn't have it, we would have ran it until the overheat alarm shut us down.

The pee stream is a decent indicator, but how often do you look back at it while running.

I HIGHLY recommend a water pressure gauge to the standard compliment of gauges. When I was at Wellcraft ('94-'00), it was standard on every boat, including the 165 CCF/AS 165 Striper.

165Striper, verify that for me...

Ken2 or Osprey maybe you can help me on this? I am in the process of hanging a 2005 225 4stroke inplace of a yam 2 stroke. If I buy a pressure guage? Does yamaha make it? Do I have to buy a sender and does yam make it? do I have to run extra wires from eng to guage or does it conect to harness.

Ken2 or Osprey maybe you can help me on this? I am in the process of hanging a 2005 225 4stroke inplace of a yam 2 stroke. If I buy a pressure guage? Does yamaha make it? Do I have to buy a sender and does yam make it? do I have to run extra wires from eng to guage or does it conect to harness.

Bly,

So this is what you need. This:

h20pressurebl-100.jpg

and this:

wpres-100.jpg

No extra wires needed, just a jumper from one of the gauges to provide backlighting. You'll also need 1/8" hose, which Yam sells. The sender screws into either head at the base of it. Have your dealer show you where.

Then of course you have to run the hose forward. It fits over a barb on the back of the gauge similar to a regular speedo.

Gauge P/N 6Y7-83660-10-0

Sender P/N MAR-WPRES-AD-TR

Verify the pressure range from your dealer. Some need 30 PSI display, some need 40.

Bob C

Bly,

So this is what you need. This:

h20pressurebl-100.jpg

and this:

wpres-100.jpg

No extra wires needed, just a jumper from one of the gauges to provide backlighting. You'll also need 1/8" hose, which Yam sells. The sender screws into either head at the base of it. Have your dealer show you where.

Then of course you have to run the hose forward. It fits over a barb on the back of the gauge similar to a regular speedo.

Gauge P/N 6Y7-83660-10-0

Sender P/N MAR-WPRES-AD-TR

Verify the pressure range from your dealer. Some need 30 PSI display, some need 40.

Bob C

Wow! Thanks that was quick and informative, Thanks250 osprey and thanks wiley for starting up the reelboating site!