Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Single or Twins

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 25 foot Renken WA..similar to Grady.Original engine was a 200 Yammy 2 stroke..lasted 15 years,ran hard (underpowered) and finally went BOOM.Repowered with twin 225 Yammy 4 strokes...Rebuilt transom,added twin pod,lotsa money spent,but now very fast(58mph) and super reliable.Very broke,but pleased.

Single & sea tow. That 11 miles offshore for scallopping is not like 11 miles offshore anywhere else. The 'roughest' seas I've seen out there is 1/2 ft of wind chop. Rental pontoon boats outnumber fiberglass hulls on any Saturday. Not to say that it doesn't get nasty, just not during scallop season. In the Keys, you could be trolling within sight of the lighthouses and do just fine on the fish. The Bahamas...we'll that's up to you.

The boat search continues........................

Still searching for a 23-24 footer. 75% of it's use will be cruising the Homosassa river and hanging out at the springs. 15% of the time will be scalloping and fishing 10-15 miles from shore. the last 5% will be going to my honey holes 40 miles or so offshore. Other thoughts are that I would like to take it to the Keys to do some dolphin trolling and lobster grabbing. Maybe venture to Bimini since I've heard it was a nice trip.

My gut feeling is that a single and Sea Tow are all I need. What do y'all think?

The boat search continues........................

Still searching for a 23-24 footer. 75% of it's use will be cruising the Homosassa river and hanging out at the springs. 15% of the time will be scalloping and fishing 10-15 miles from shore. the last 5% will be going to my honey holes 40 miles or so offshore. Other thoughts are that I would like to take it to the Keys to do some dolphin trolling and lobster grabbing. Maybe venture to Bimini since I've heard it was a nice trip.

My gut feeling is that a single and Sea Tow are all I need. What do y'all think?

If you are going 40 plus miles you should at least have a kicker. I have made approx 250-300 long trips with twins and have comeback on one 6 times. always slow makes for a long trip. regards velocity 30

I would consider myself a salty guy and frequently do 40mi trips to the "Big Blue" EACH way. I can't imagine ever doing trips like that without two motors. If I was out there with a kicker (8-15hp) motor, I would be doing basically 4-5mph. Now do the math....that's a 9-10 hour trip home! Screw that!! :2261_high:

Nope, I want a second BIG motor! :1946_headbanging:

As a matter of fact, I looked for months to find the boat I did. So it wasn't a coincidence I have two big Honda's.

Edited by Twisted Pair

Twins were a bonus on this rig when we found it for sale about a year ago. Many of these 2300 KW's were sold with a 225 Yamaha. I run a loooong way to get to any thing near 100'; usually 45- 50 miles West of here. For some reason that trip is nowhere near as daunting with a pair of motors on the transom. I have found that with my switch to 4 blade props, I can plane this boat on one motor, another bonus...

Four strokes are easy to maintain and keep track of. I did my 400 hr service on them right after I bought them and dropped about $380 for the pair. I was able to check the valve lash and inspect the timing belt myself. Plugs, filters, oil were all relatively easy to access. I feel confident with this rig and that really adds to our days on the water...

One more thing...after the three football players died last year we bought a PLB. I already had two radios, two Lowrance LMS 522's and always talk to BoatUS whenever I haul up and head out further..

Edited by triumphrick

• 1 month later...

I guess every clould has a silver lining. We just got back from a week in the keys and the 15-20 winds pretty much made our 21' boat worthless. I chartered a boat to take us fishing one day and the boat was a Sailfish 2660 which was high on my wifes want list. After a day fishing it she said the layout was a pain and the front seats got in the way of fishing. The next day we went boat shoping. The winner? the Bluewater 2550. So TooReel will be in the for sale section soon and I will have my open bow boat with twins that I've always wanted.

Kind of glad that SeaFox she saw a few months ago did not work out.

Personally, I would never "lose sight of land" without twins. Regardless of boat size.

I've seen my share of single engine boats being towed in at 10pm at night, when I know they most likely left to go out around 7am.

Makes for a long day.

Edited by TooReel