Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Cleaning and Finishing Teak

The interior of my 1963 Bertram has a lot of teak.

There was a minor leak around a window (now repaired) and there are salt streaks on the teak.

There are a few spots where the teak is quite dirty. Probably some engine grime and the rest is just from dirty hands.

Question: What is the best way to remove salt streaks from teak?

Question: What is the best way to remove engine grime and dirt from teak?

Question: What type of teak oil or other product should I use once the teak has been cleaned?

Any help would be truly appreciated

Many thanks

The interior of my 1963 Bertram has a lot of teak.

There was a minor leak around a window (now repaired) and there are salt streaks on the teak.

There are a few spots where the teak is quite dirty. Probably some engine grime and the rest is just from dirty hands.

Question: What is the best way to remove salt streaks from teak?

Question: What is the best way to remove engine grime and dirt from teak?

Question: What type of teak oil or other product should I use once the teak has been cleaned?

Any help would be truly appreciated

Many thanks

Gus, I had a teak platform/ladder on a 79 hull that I refurbished. The teak was filthy with 25 years of exhaust and grime. I almost trashed it but figured I would give it a shot. I used a copper pot scrubber and Methyl ethyl ketone. It really worked. I would not use it on interior teak for obvious reasons but a milder solvent and the copper scrubber may work well for you. Laird

For those that have not had experience with methyl ethyl ketone, lets just say don't smoke a cigarette and play with it!

:1946_headbanging:

That stuff would clean anything in the world. And about 4 oz. in a 20 oz bottle thrown into a fire put me (240 lbs) on my butt! Good times.

PD

Question: Is "methyl ethyl ketone" the generic name? I never heard of the stuff before.

Question: Where would I buy it? In a paint store?

Question: Do I just wash the teak like I was using soap or is there something else I should be doing?

Question: After using methyl ethyl ketone, how long should I wait before applying teak oil?

I am guessing that you would use it in a well ventilated space?

For those that have not had experience with methyl ethyl ketone, lets just say don't smoke a cigarette and play with it!

:1946_headbanging:

That stuff would clean anything in the world. And about 4 oz. in a 20 oz bottle thrown into a fire put me (240 lbs) on my butt! Good times.

PD

Question: Is there anythingt that you should not try cleaning with methyl ethyl ketone? e.g. fiberglass, carpets etc.

Don't use MEK, it is a very powerful and dangerous solvent. It will melt plastic (including fiberglass),strip paint and take the skin off your fingers and damage your lungs.

There are plenty of good safe teak cleaners. I usually use Star Brite or Amazon products. Restoring old teak is a 3 stage process, you clean it, bleach it and seal it. You can find a kit with all 3 at any marine supply store.

Don't use MEK, it is a very powerful and dangerous solvent. It will melt plastic (including fiberglass),strip paint and take the skin off your fingers and damage your lungs.

There are plenty of good safe teak cleaners. I usually use Star Brite or Amazon products. Restoring old teak is a 3 stage process, you clean it, bleach it and seal it. You can find a kit with all 3 at any marine supply store.

Thanks re the info about the dangers of using MEK

The three part kit sounds like more work but that sounds like the way to go.