Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

How do I identify a counter rotating lower unit

I cant tell the two Suzuki 140df units apart. I think the regular one should turn clock wise when looking from the back. As far as i can tell the shift needs to turn counter clockwise to be in forward. The drive shafts seem to only want to turn one way, clockwise but when I look at my 2008s the fly wheel turns counter clockwise. I really need to be sure before I ship one across the country.

Any help would be appreciated. My local dealer is closed to the 4th.

thanks,

Joe

I cant tell the two Suzuki 140df units apart. I think the regular one should turn clock wise when looking from the back. As far as i can tell the shift needs to turn counter clockwise to be in forward. The drive shafts seem to only want to turn one way, clockwise but when I look at my 2008s the fly wheel turns counter clockwise. I really need to be sure before I ship one across the country.

thanks,

Joe

The CR motor will have a "Z" in the model number, located on the S/N plate, starboard side up by the trim pump area. :605_thumbs_up:

Edited by 250 Osprey

thanks,

Joe

The CR motor will have a "Z" in the model number, located on the S/N plate, starboard side up by the trim pump area. :605_thumbs_up:

The units are removed from the motors and so are the props. I can't find any part numbers on the lower units themselves.

The units are removed from the motors and so are the props. I can't find any part numbers on the lower units themselves.

So what you're saying is that you have 2 LUs, not 2 motors, correct? :504_shrugging:

correct, The lower units are salvage from my old motors that went under water while running. they are 2006.

So what you're saying is that you have 2 LUs, not 2 motors, correct? :504_shrugging:

correct, The lower units are salvage from my old motors that went under water while running. they are 2006.

Let me email my Suzuki guy and see if he can tell us how to differentiate between the 2... :605_thumbs_up:

I assume they don't have props either? That would be an easy way to tell.

You are quite correct, Larry. That's what I told my Suzi guy. In other words, with no visual references, how do you tell?

Let's assume the drive shaft rotates CW. Therefore, if one rotated the drive shaft, the prop shaft would rotate CW on the standard, CCW on the CR. That is assuming the reversal is done in the gearcase...that is also assuming the drive shaft rotates CW... :471_confused_face:

I assume they don't have props either? That would be an easy way to tell.
You are quite correct, Larry. That's what I told my Suzi guy. In other words, with no visual references, how do you tell?Let's assume the drive shaft rotates CW. Therefore, if one rotated the drive shaft, the prop shaft would rotate CW on the standard, CCW on the CR.
That's how I would check once I confirmed the shift shaft was in fwd position. I think all O/Bs' powerheads and drive shafts do turn CW but wouldn't bet the boat on it.

I think my Suzuki Buddy is on vacation...

Chances are, both shift shafts are in neutral... :1898_: