Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Four Strokes

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an '05 Yammy 150 with 765 hours. Had an injector clog before installing a 10 micron filter. Yamaha replaced all of them (after warranty) and I just had to pay labor. No other issues. Currently have a 2010 f250b with a grand total of 6 hours. If it runs half as good I will be more than satisfied. Also had an '01 75 Honda that didn't have an hour meter, but ran it for 4 years and it was bullet proof.

I have a Merc-Yamaha 115 that is coming up on 10 years old, but still has well less than 200 hours on it.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I was in Charleston SC and took a harbor tour. The boat had twin Yamaha 150s. After the tour, I asked the skipper/owner what he thought of the engines. He said he loved them. He also mentioned that he had sold his old engines, twin Yamaha 115s, to some one else the year before with well over 500 hours on them and they were still running strong.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at a boat that has 850 hours on 2006 twin 115 Yamaha's. Boat is a repo and it is missing cushions, bolsters, stereo and VHF. It looks nice in the pictures but since it is 3 hours away and the holidays have been on us I have not been able to go look at it in person.

I'm trying to figure out how much "sweat equity" I'll have to put in the boat and make a offer.

My thought is if I can get it at the right price I'll just have the engines serviced and run them till they pop and re-power.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at a boat that has 850 hours on 2006 twin 115 Yamaha's. Boat is a repo and it is missing cushions, bolsters, stereo and VHF. It looks nice in the pictures but since it is 3 hours away and the holidays have been on us I have not been able to go look at it in person.

I'm trying to figure out how much "sweat equity" I'll have to put in the boat and make a offer.

My thought is if I can get it at the right price I'll just have the engines serviced and run them till they pop and re-power.

Just make sure you sea trial it first. I've seen engines sabotaged by the owners of repo'd boats. One instance was spark plugs being removed and sheet metal screws pushed through the plug holes.... took several minutes of the engines running before they grenaded.

Also seen metal shavings, sand and BBs put in the lower units...

If you are looking at something that is being sold by National Liquidators be prepared for the run around. Many people try to get serious with them and they are hard to deal with apparently, I vaguely was considering a bid on a boat they had a few years ago but decided against it after reading about numerous people having gotten fed up with them.

I have a yamaha 115 four stroke with 370 hrs.I have had the oil issue(where it make oil) and i have to have a valve job done.All repairs were made under warranty. The oil issue was taken care of with no problem but the valve issue was like getting yamaha to give up their last valve.It took 4 months to get the valve issue rectified.

I used to own a 4 stroke Suzuki 140. put over 120 hrs on it before trading it for something else.I never had a problem with it

If you are looking at something that is being sold by National Liquidators be prepared for the run around. Many people try to get serious with them and they are hard to deal with apparently, I vaguely was considering a bid on a boat they had a few years ago but decided against it after reading about numerous people having gotten fed up with them.

i second that 100%