Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boat Towing Opinions

I have a trailered 22'Grady that I tow back and forth to nearby launch ramp. I currently have an older (1998) 4wd truck, and I'm getting ready to purchase a new one. I've had a few other trailered boats, all towed with 4wd trucks.

My question is this. Do I really need to get a 4wd truck, or will a 2wd with a locker type rear end be just as good? My main concern is pulling boat up ramp without spinning and not being able to. I have a neighbor with a similar sized boat on trailer that tells me he never has any problem on ramps with his 2wd truck.

I'm thinking that a regular 4wd truck really has only one wheel in the back, and one in the front pulling. With a locker/posi type rear, then you would still have the two wheels pulling, although they are both near or in the water.

I would appreciate anyone with experience using a 2wd truck to pull their boats in and out of ramps, to give me their opinion on them. Thanks, Mike.

you will probably be fine with a 4x2, but it will all depend on the ramp itself. If it is in the budget, why not consider keeping the current truck if it is realiable, and leave it hooked up to the boat just for that purpose, and getting the new one however you would like it, or go for an SUV or car instead it that would suit your commuting purposes better.

The 4wd truck I have now is reliable and in good shape, but is a midsize truck with a standard transmission. I would like to get a full size automatic pickup. Although saving three to five thousand on a 2wd over a 4wd is important, I prefer driving a 2wd truck over a 4wd. To me, they seem to track straighter, and have less problems.

I'm really wondering if getting a locker/posi type rear axle would make up the difference between the 2wd and the 4wd, as far as pulling boat up ramp.

I have always(30+ years)had a 4 X 2 Explorer or Yukon for towing a 22' Grady or McKee Craft and have never had any problems. A locking rear differential or posi-traction is always good to have. Good Luck!!

I have a trailered 22'Grady that I tow back and forth to nearby launch ramp. I currently have an older (1998) 4wd truck, and I'm getting ready to purchase a new one. I've had a few other trailered boats, all towed with 4wd trucks.

My question is this. Do I really need to get a 4wd truck, or will a 2wd with a locker type rear end be just as good? My main concern is pulling boat up ramp without spinning and not being able to. I have a neighbor with a similar sized boat on trailer that tells me he never has any problem on ramps with his 2wd truck.

I'm thinking that a regular 4wd truck really has only one wheel in the back, and one in the front pulling. With a locker/posi type rear, then you would still have the two wheels pulling, although they are both near or in the water.

I would appreciate anyone with experience using a 2wd truck to pull their boats in and out of ramps, to give me their opinion on them. Thanks, Mike.

4WD isn't really a bad thing to have, I do think it's necessity is overstated, especially when it comes to towing a boat.

At one ramp I frequent, you are required to turn sharply to the left after your trailer clears the water. This is a bad idea when in 4WD on dry pavement, especially when tugging 7,000 lbs up a grade.

Thanks for all the replies. I see that opinions are mixed on this subject. I'm going to go out and look at some trucks today, and when weather clears a little, I'm going down to the ramp and see if I can get a few opinions from people using 2wd vehicles for launching/retrieving boats. Thanks again, Mike.

I also have a 4x4, and in the 4 yrs I've had it, I don't think I've used 4WD more than a half dozen times, all while driving on loose sand. I've had no problem at the launch ramp just leaving the truck in 2WD.

I have seen several guys at the local ramp with standard 2WD trucks who have installed hitches on the front of their trucks. When they get to the ramp area towing normally, they disconnect the trailer and hook it up to the front hitch and launch/retrieve that way. As a result, their drive wheels stay on dry concrete at all times.