Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yamaha Paint Project

Thanks for the tip Capt. I just repaired a cowling that had damage from lifting my engine up, and used Permatex Cold Weld bonding agent. I'm hoping that will adhere OK.

Any hints on using Colorite matching spray cans to get the color just right? I'm now attempting to put on a coat of clear coat in the Color rite spray can, and am finding it runs faster than the paint. I may be sanding down with 1500 to do the clear coat over.

Obviously I'm trying to save the decals as they are prohibitively priced, ridiculously so.

I pity anyone that paints for a living, just wearing the damned mask is hard enough. But I envy anyone with a real painting booth.

DO NOT use products made for "Fiberglass" repair. Polyester products like fiberglass resin WILL NOT! adhere to SMC (Sheet Molded Compound). That's what your cover is made of.

This is what you need for small repairs. Grind the inside and the outside of the cowling then apply. You mix it up and spread it just like working with Bondo.

Here is the link to it.

http://www.tptools.com/pl/Images,me-870-autobody-filler_L,234,3023_Evercoat-Vette-Panel-AdhesiveandFillerâ„¢.html

You will also need this before you apply your filler primer.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=UPO7226

Epoxy and matting was used on the inside of this repair.

Edited by No Bail