Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yamaha Paint Project

Sweet! Looks brand new! How long did it take to prep?

Welding about 20 minutes, drop the lower unit and sand it about 30 minutes.

I think I would have used Epoxy primer instead of etch primer,,,,but both will work.

Did you use any sealer under the base coat? How about any hardner in the base coat?

Yup both primers would work. The guy I used to work for was a pilot and also painted allot of airplane parts...he swore by the 1791 for aluminum. No sealer and no hardener in the base. Base color coat then a few coats of clear. Done.

• 2 weeks later...

Ludicrous--I remember this thread and actualy wrote your color combo down in case I ever needed it. I don;t have a yamaha presently (but might again in the near future :) )and I remember afterwards you saying you would change the color some? Do you have that new mixture?

Edited by Joe's boat

Ludicrous--I remember this thread and actualy wrote your color combo down in case I ever needed it. I don;t have a yamaha presently (but might again in the near future :) )and I remember afterwards you saying you would change the color some? Do you have that new mixture?

No formula, just a bit more 1687 toner to lighten it a shade or two.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah,,,that is some good stuff. I used a lot of DuPont VariPrime,,Its about the same thing.

I repair a lot of engine cowlings for a couple of local marinas.

The SMC that they are made of is easy to work with as long as you use the right materials. Polyester products will not adhere to it at all!............

I have a Yamaha cowling with a hole in it, about 1/2 or so diameter of damage. I hit something left in a rod holder as I tilted the engine up. Can you recommend a material to patch the cowling? Does this require fiberglass or can I use some kind of Marine Tex? Thanks for any information.

DO NOT use products made for "Fiberglass" repair. Polyester products like fiberglass resin WILL NOT! adhere to SMC (Sheet Molded Compound). That's what your cover is made of.

This is what you need for small repairs. Grind the inside and the outside of the cowling then apply. You mix it up and spread it just like working with Bondo.

me-870-autobody-filler_L.jpg

Here is the link to it.

http://www.tptools.com/pl/Images,me-870-autobody-filler_L,234,3023_Evercoat-Vette-Panel-AdhesiveandFillerâ„¢.html

You will also need this before you apply your filler primer.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=UPO7226

.Cowl01.jpg

Cowl02.jpg

Epoxy and matting was used on the inside of this repair.

Edited by Capt Rick Hiott