Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boat theft?

Is the boat theft problem in the Keys as bad as it is in the Bahamas?

Am I going to have to lock my boat to the dock at night in the Keys?

I am not sure about the theft rate down there, but they make devices that will alert you via telephone/text to when someone enters your boat.

David

My in-laws have a place in Key Largo and we have never had a problem with our boat there. While the boat is in the water behind the house, I keep the electronics on the boat. At night I lock the latches and take to keys inside. I also purchased a portable, programmable motion detector alarm. I put some velcro on a dock post and put the alarm there. It will pick up motion if someone comes by boat or walks onto the dock. At night or if we leave the house, I set it (4 digit code). It has only gone off once and that was during a bad storm. I guess what I'm saying is if you take some precautions, you should not have a problem.

I've been going to the keys my entire life and haven't heard of much theft. I've never locked my boat or placed and alarm on it. if you are saying in a residential area you should be fine just take all the loose things off the boat. its the keys relax and enjoy your self the boat will be fine just make sure u are up to date on all safety equipment and permits because FWC is my only worry down there

P.S. His-Sea-Fit good to see somebody from Carrabelle on here i was there last week

Consider installing a GPS tracking system. tap into a hidden red (hot) wire and hide it. No one would ever suspect it to be on the boat.

Edited by artofdetailing

Consider installing a GPS tracking system. tap into a hidden red (hot) wire and hide it. No one would ever suspect it to be on the boat.

I have to have one for insurance to cover me. So I have one already. I do not want to have to use it.

I have to have one for insurance to cover me. So I have one already. I do not want to have to use it.

Very cool and very rare! You are smart!